galveston shark tooth ID

ThePhysicist

Hey y'all,

got back from a trip to Galveston yesterday. I found a few neat things that I'll post in a new album later. I'm not sure about this shark tooth, though. My initial thought was dusky or some carcharhinus. However the nutrient groove reminds me of sphyrna. 

The tooth in question is the larger brown tooth in the pictures. It has fine, even serrations, and a deep nutrient groove. The last three pictures include a sphyrna tooth for comparison. 

Thank you!

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I dont know what shark that is from, but those are some fantastic photos!  Do you mind telling what you took them with and how?  

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Sphyrna sp. for sure, probably S. zygaena

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thank you everyone for the input!

@Ramo, I took the photos with my 10.5" 2017 iPad Pro. (It has a better camera than my iPhone SE.) The camera does most of the work for you, I just tap where I want to focus, and I can change lighting and exposure afterwards for better visibility. I really shouldn't take much credit for it, but I appreciate the compliment! 

@hemipristis, I would probably agree with you on that. I think S. mokarran has larger serrations. 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

4 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Thank you everyone for the input!

@Ramo, I took the photos with my 10.5" 2017 iPad Pro. (It has a better camera than my iPhone SE.) The camera does most of the work for you, I just tap where I want to focus, and I can change lighting and exposure afterwards for better visibility. I really shouldn't take much credit for it, but I appreciate the compliment! 

@hemipristis, I would probably agree with you on that. I think S. mokarran has larger serrations. 

Yeah, hammerhead but it's tough to nail a tooth like that to species due to even minor water wear.  S. zygaena teeth tend to be a little broader mid-crown but not always.  I think it has a shot at being S. mokarran but I would lean toward zygaena too.