Cretaceous Marine Not a Clue

Mike from North Queensland

Have been prepping out a few bits and pieces encased in matrix to see if anything interesting.

This is from the Toolebuc formation in Central Queensland Australia. The formation is Albian about 100 million years old.

My best guess is this is a skull piece (partial quadrate) the bit the jaw hinges on from a marine reptile.

There appears to be three teeth socket points looking at what I assume to be the bottom.

The problem with that idea is they are only 5 to 10 mm deep and too close to the hinge point.

The specimen is only a partial bone but hoping complete enough for someone to recognise to the general species from photos.

Thanks for all feedback in advance. I may need to retake some photos from slightly different angles.

Mike

quad as found.JPG

quad 1 inner.JPG

quad 2 outer.JPG

quad 3.JPG

quad 4.JPG

quad 5 top.JPG

quad 6 bottom.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

I took this to the museum and showed it to the palaeontologist who like myself is sure it is a partial quadrate bone but did not recognise it as belonging to any plesiosaur that he has seen.

It possible that it belongs to some dinosaur but at present further research needs to happen.

Like to find the unknown.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

On 21/08/2019 at 6:33 AM, Mike from North Queensland said:

Mike

You sure do that a bit! I think I’ve still got your number in my phone, should do a meet up some time :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

On 8/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, Mike from North Queensland said:

I took this to the museum and showed it to the palaeontologist who like myself is sure it is a partial quadrate bone but did not recognise it as belonging to any plesiosaur that he has seen.

It possible that it belongs to some dinosaur but at present further research needs to happen.

Mike

Good luck tracking the critter down!

Regards, Chris 

• 1 month later...

Thought I might bump this as I am not the only one that does not have a clue.

Mike