fossilsonwheels

This is a pretty interesting tooth and I figured I would post it here to get some additional thoughts. This is labeled as an Avisaurus tooth from Garfield County Montana, Hell Creek formation. The first thing that stood out to me was that the shape was a bit different than most teeth labeled Avisaurus that I have seen. Granted I have not seen many but this looked different. It is also close to 1/4" which seems quite large for an Avisaurus. Since there are several Enantionithean birds from Hell Creek, it could be from one for sure but could it be something else?

I did some research and found photos on line of a jaw fragments from an Ichthyornis from Kansas that had a similar looking tooth. I am talking general shape really, not saying that is what this is. I also found a comparative study of Hesperornis and Ichthyornis teeth on line and it has a similar shape to one of the Hesperornis teeth in that study. I am very unfamiliar with Avian teeth so I am strictly going by what little research I could find on line. I know there are a couple of Hesperorniformes and an unnamed Ichthyornithean from Hell Creek so it is possible that this tooth belongs to a bird that is not an Enantionithean but I thought this is an ideal tooth to put on the forum and seek some help from those with far more knowledge.

Any comments, insights, or thoughts ?

birdtooth.jpg

birdtooth2.jpg

31 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Does not look like any Avisaurus teeth I've seen but that's about all I can say.  Could it be a mammal tooth ?

It could be for sure. I am even less familiar with HC mammals teeth than the bird teeth but I will start researching that possibility.

Interesting it looks a little like a claw but that probably wrong. I think our good friend may  have a  idea of an ID @Troodon

Definitely a tooth but like others said does not look like one from an Avisaurus sp..   Could be avian but not familar with any of the other types in the HC.   The only thing that came to mind when I first saw it was  Pachy fang tooth but really dont know.

@Auspex

@jpc

• I found this Informative 3

Small reptile, IMO.

Avisauris teeth have a pronounced basal constriction.

Avisaurus archibaldi.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Definitely a tooth but like others said does not look like one from an Avisaurus sp..   Could be avian but not familar with any of the other types in the HC.   The only thing that came to mind when I first saw it was  Pachy fang tooth but really dont know.

@Auspex

@jpc

That is why I posted it. It looks so different. I was really curious to see what others thought as I was pretty stumped.

44 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Small reptile, IMO.

Avisauris teeth have a pronounced basal constriction.

Avisaurus archibaldi.jpg

I had not thought of reptile tooth so thank you for that suggestion. Very interesting.

Another possibility might be a beat-up Hesperornis sp., missing the root.
~.jpg

(I have six unprepped partial skeletons, but sadly not a skull among them (someday, I would like to make a composite panel mount with a repro head).

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

5 hours ago, Auspex said:

Another possibility might be a beat-up Hesperornis sp., missing the root.
~.jpg

(I have six unprepped partial skeletons, but sadly not a skull among them (someday, I would like to make a composite panel mount with a repro head).

I did think Hesperornis was possible based on some on line research. You should contact Sierra College. I am pretty sure the Hesperornis they have features a repro head. I remember asking the Curator of their Natural History Museum, Dr. Richard Hilton, about their Hesperornis at an Ichthyosaur prep lab I attended. 6 unprepped skeletons ? You are a lucky guy @Auspex That is really quite a cool and amazing thing to have. 

I am puzzled by this tooth.  My first inistinct said mammal canine, but the root is too thick.  Not a bird either (see auspex's post).  Pachy 'canine' tooth is a possibility.  Other than that, I don't know.   

• I found this Informative 1

This one is difficult.  See how the root extends off the crown gives me a sense it's an anterior tooth.

Found a photo of a Pachy fang, "canine" tooth with a little root.  Ridges on the crown are present in both but the root is a bit different.  ??? 

hell-creek-dinosaur-fossil-rare-pachycephalosaurus_1_e5a6b6a289daf456df54ea0dedbc1051.jpg.35ed74f9851afac7a6798655d7609cc5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, jpc said:

I am puzzled by this tooth.  My first inistinct said mammal canine, but the root is too thick.  Not a bird either (see auspex's post).  Pachy 'canine' tooth is a possibility.  Other than that, I don't know.   

Seems to be the consensus with this one lol Thank you for weighing in though !

16 minutes ago, Troodon said:

This one is difficult.  See how the root extends off the crown gives me a sense it's an anterior tooth.

Found a photo of a Pachy fang, "canine" tooth with a little root.  Ridges on the crown are present in both but the root is a bit different.  ??? 

hell-creek-dinosaur-fossil-rare-pachycephalosaurus_1_e5a6b6a289daf456df54ea0dedbc1051.jpg.35ed74f9851afac7a6798655d7609cc5.jpg

I almost want to get it just because it is such a puzzler lol I found a photo of  a Pachy fang as well that seems to share some traits with this mystery tooth

pachyfang.jpg