Finally got back in the field again this year

sharkdoctor

@Gizmo and I had fun day on a stream in eastern Virginia in July. After emergency renovations on my home, I was in bad need of some restorative time in the field. For about two months, the only fossil hunting I got to do was vicariously through the TFF Trip Reports :)

I've been so focused on coprolites and other aspects of collecting that I am behind on prepping teeth and bone. However, thought I'd share some finds as-is. Below are a few highlights:

5d52ef6a9ddb7_cuspyteeth_resized.thumb.jpg.15edca37b9bb058655215fb126ea5586.jpg

The larger tooth was found in situ in the Calver formation and has some pretty spectacular feeding damage, including a triangular bite mark and serration scrapes on the enamel:

5d52efe138006_Bittentooth_resize1.thumb.jpg.ddc5553ed77f00217cc269f6b685cfc2.jpg

Some odd turtle bits, including a humerus:

5d52f06ebc44c_turtle_resize.thumb.jpg.1a480db34330c81ee8e92545a58782e7.jpg

An ocean sunfish beak:

5d52f1916b52c_sunfish_resize.thumb.jpg.286103fe976ed0be997536a6b8e15934.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

20 hours ago, caldigger said:

20190813_110819.png

I think I'm in love! :wub:   Just look at that color.

You better put a ring on it!

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The cuspiest tooth was likely reworked into the Calvert Formation from the Piney Point or the Old Church. I'm not sure if it is an auriculatus or an angustidens. You probably get the same sort of mixing in NC.?. 

Auriculatis grade into angustidens so it's difficult to tell them apart for me unless I see a profile. Am not much of a shark tooth person though. We probably get more mixing here in NC than most anyplace else on the east coast. Wide coastal plain with numerous scour fills and the Cape Fear Arch are no doubt responsible. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, the problem is that so many of the possible "grades" are available in this region, so it makes it hard to tease out what is what when working with reworked material.

BTW, I was intrigued when you said you aren't interested in sharks, but your profile mentions vertebrates as an interest. What fossil vertebrates pique your interest along the Atlantic Coastal Plain?

Update on IDs, thanks to Dr Robert Weems:

The turtle humerus is from Trachyaspis lardyi .

The large reptile vertebra is likely from: Thecachampsa antiquus

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Dang those teeth are gorgeous :wub:....great finds!

I would love it if some of those items I find came in that deep sable color. It's just gorgeous!

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Dang those teeth are gorgeous :wub:....great finds!

Thanks! I'll post a pic once they are prepped.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:31 AM, sharkdoctor said:

Yeah, the problem is that so many of the possible "grades" are available in this region, so it makes it hard to tease out what is what when working with reworked material.

BTW, I was intrigued when you said you aren't interested in sharks, but your profile mentions vertebrates as an interest. What fossil vertebrates pique your interest along the Atlantic Coastal Plain?

Am actually most interested in geology and stratigraphy in particular. I'm not disinterested in shark teeth but find other vertebrate fossils such as marine reptiles more interesting.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:49 AM, Plax said:

Am actually most interested in geology and stratigraphy in particular. I'm not disinterested in shark teeth but find other vertebrate fossils such as marine reptiles more interesting.

@Plax I hear you on that point! Often, collecting shark teeth passes the time while I am looking for something of more interest.

• 2 months later...

Nice teeth !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 8/26/2019 at 6:03 AM, sharkdoctor said:

@Plax I hear you on that point! Often, collecting shark teeth passes the time while I am looking for something of more interest.

And yet you go by "Sharkdoctor"...hypocrisy at its finest! :heartylaugh: