Is this Ammonite real or fake?

Azbantium

Hello everyone,

First of all I must say that I’m new to buying fossils and that I know nothing about Ammonites. Recently I saw this Ammonite laying around in a small home decor shop. I immediately loved it, so I decided to purchase it. However, I’ve got a suspicion that this one is fake (or at least heavily sculpted), for the following reasons:

1. It was quite cheap. The certified ones I’ve seen on the internet (same size, same price) are much less detailed than this one.

2. It has ‘flaking’ layers and some cracks (see close up pictures)

3. It just looks a little bit too perfect compared with the ones I’ve seen on the internet.

I wouldn’t really mind if it were fake, because it just looks really cool. But I’m really curious what you people think. Is this real, fake or sculpted? Thank you!

IMG_20190813_215049 (2).jpg

IMG_20190813_215505.jpg

IMG_20190813_215747.jpg

IMG_20190813_215836.jpg

Yes it is real and exactly as described by Bobby.  These are very common from that locality and therefore not worth someone's time to try to fake.

Here is a shot of one of mine from the cabinet.

20190813_144725.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you very much for your replies. It makes it even better knowing that it is a real one. Also thank you for the background information about the place of origin, I was also unaware of this. I really appreciate your help!

Yes it's real, and fortunately it escaped the typical treatment that exported Madagascan ammonites like this one get: tops of the ribs ground down with a polishing wheel, and the aperture cut off square.

I would have snapped it up if I had seen it (unless overpriced, but it sounds like you got a good deal).

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

the typical treatment that exported Madagascan ammonites

I wonder how many fossils they would sell if they found and kept them complete with no polishing or anything?  I would be a buyer for sure. 

RB

10 hours ago, RJB said:

I wonder how many fossils they would sell if they found and kept them complete with no polishing or anything?  I would be a buyer for sure. 

RB

Put me on that list of buyers.  I’d rather have half of a fossil with bits of matrix on it than a “whole” composite or a badly prepped one. 

Nice ammonite btw. :) Looks real to me and as Wrangellian said, not heavily altered.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

14 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Indeed, but I gather they have 'value added' laws for exports, that force them to do stuff to fossils that need no treatment at all.

On 16-8-2019 at 7:55 AM, Wrangellian said:

I would have snapped it up if I had seen it (unless overpriced, but it sounds like you got a good deal).

This one cost me around 20 Euros, which I considered a bargain (at least from what I’ve seen). I’ve seen smaller, less well preserved ones go for twice te price and sometimes even more. So that’s why I was skeptical at first.

It’s a shame these beautiful things usually get ‘improved’ though.

I got mine for less though it was smaller like Adam's specimen, and it might be worth that, or more, to get an unadulterated example, especially at that size.

16 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

.... and it might be worth that, or more

In The Netherlands we say; ‘it is worth what the fool is willing to pay for it’ ;-)

Thank you very mucht for insight by the way! Really interesting to learn a bit more about Ammonites/ fossils and where to look out for.

38 minutes ago, Azbantium said:

we say; ‘it is worth what the fool is willing to pay for it’ 

Hey, don't let that saying get around or we'll all look like fools!"  :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 2019/8/17 at 3:01 AM, Adam86cucv said:

Wow, this one would be big if one whorl wasn't missing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

I think I picked up the one I have pictured above for no more than $10 in Tucson.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 hours ago, Azbantium said:

In The Netherlands we say; ‘it is worth what the fool is willing to pay for it’ ;-)

Thank you very mucht for insight by the way! Really interesting to learn a bit more about Ammonites/ fossils and where to look out for.

I think Perisphinctes are among the nicest  ammonites and can be preserved incredible very well. They are inexpensive because they are very abundant and sale in every Museum gift shop world wide. I have a few and one really large specimen that Mrs R got me for Christmas but that one is not well preserved . Cheers Bobby