Pleistocene mammal bone ID please

Creek - Don

Hello.  I went down to local creek today and found some interesting mammal bones.  These bones were found in 5 to 8 feet below the surface layer, but just above limestone gravel layer. I'm thinking this maybe some large animal, but does't think this is a cow bone since buried too deep.  

mamal1.JPG

mamal2.JPG

mamal3.JPG

mamal4.JPG

mamal5.JPG

Im thinking you've stumbled upon a bison. Your ground in the picture looks exactly like where Kim Texan found hers.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yes, I'm thinking that too.  It's such a huge thoracic bone.  I saw one on the Internet that resembles like this.  They have listed as PLEISTOCENE: 150,000 - 15,000 years ago. 

Sorry, that animal was Aurochs lived in Europe Africa and Asia.  Wow, so similar!

mamal7.JPG

mammal8.JPG

Edited by JohnJ
Sales site link removed.

I just compared other bison bones, but on the bottom of last picture it has lot more bones than other bison bones on the Internet, but matches almost to Aurochs. 

Don, scientific publications are more reliable for accurate identification than most online sales sites.  Searching on TFF will often produce good links and leads to further research.

(Please remember to avoid posting sales links per our guidelines.  Thanks.)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That's the first dorsal vertebra. There are articulation points for the ribs on the back, but not on the front.

Looks like bovid.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

LordTrilobite,  I looked at cattle dorsal vertebra yesterday, but doesn't seem to match up.  

mamal9.JPG

Thanks everyone.  i just figured out which species of bison this belonged to.  It's called a  Steppe Bison that became extinct early Holocene period, about 11,000 years ago.  I found a exact match with Steppe Bison dorsal vertebra after comparing modern bovine and existing bison dorsal vertebra.   So, this bone is between 1.8 million to 11,000 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, Creek - Don said:

LordTrilobite,  I looked at cattle dorsal vertebra yesterday, but doesn't seem to match up.  

mamal9.JPG

This picture is of a cervical vertebra, not a dorsal.

The specimen in the photos is 100% the first dorsal though.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:09 PM, Creek - Don said:

Thanks everyone.  i just figured out which species of bison this belonged to.  It's called a  Steppe Bison that became extinct early Holocene period, about 11,000 years ago.  I found a exact match with Steppe Bison dorsal vertebra after comparing modern bovine and existing bison dorsal vertebra.   So, this bone is between 1.8 million to 11,000 years old.

Also most steppe bison (Bison priscus) bones are nearly identical to those of Aurochs, and thus are very very hard to tell apart. Both are exclusive to Eurasia.

If this is from the Texas, then it's not steppe bison. The American bison is also very, very similar. It's mostly just larger.

Per Wikipedia - The steppe bison or steppe wisent (Bison priscus) is an extinct species of bison that was once found on the mammoth steppe where its range included Europe, Central Asia, Northern to Northeastern Asia, Beringia, and North America, from northwest Canada to Mexico during the Quaternary .    

Steppe bison has been found in Alaska,  Canada,  North America and Northern Mexico. 

If you Google steppe bison in Alaskan museum, there is one large mummified specimen on the display called " Blue Babe"

image.thumb.png.342f8d3e6a607604ce1beb6b520f2ea2.png

• I found this Informative 2

Hm, yeah, okay, my mistake.

It will still be very similar to other bovids though.