Fossil help please

Josie_groom89

Hi there,  

I've never come across a fossil like this one, it goes straight through a rock, the width being about 3.5cm. The diameter  of the fossil itself is about 2/2.5cm.

Found in Seaham beach, which is in the north east of the UK. So the North Sea. 

Any help greatly  appreciated, I have a six year old who doesn't know why I dont know what it is Haha.

20190813_215925-01.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the Forum to you and your six year old from Austin, Tx. 

I'm not sure about your fossil except that it is a very interesting and aesthetic piece worth hanging on to.  I think I see 12-fold symmetry as I look at the edges.  I'm hoping someone will be able to give it an ID because I'd like to know what it is as well.  Neat Find!

Aw thank you so much, Hi! 

It's pretty cool hey, I looked online at photos but I far from know the best way to search for these things. Its definitely  a keeper :-) thanks for taking the time to respond 

Indeed very aesthetic and strange, thanks for sharing, @Josie_groom89!

Would you like to show us the back side? How thick/deep is the specimen?

Is the object in question embedded in limestone or flint or something else?

@TqB, @LiamL

Franz Bernhard

It's cool hey. Above are a few photos of the rock from different  angles. I'm on my holiday at the moment, so no measuring device with me but I would say the length through the rock is about 3.5cm. 

I'm not amazing at rocks but it's more like flint, its very heavy for its size and no residue  like some rocks gives off. 

Sorry this is vague, I really dont know my rocks.

Someone suggested a sponge fossil... the photos were closes than anything else I've seen... any thoughts?

Very beautiful!

It's a cone from a Coal Measures (Carboniferous) plant, Calamostachys or similar from a horsetail I think - one of the plant guys might be able to narrow it down. They're well known from around there, especially in nodules like that, and always worth collecting!

I can't find a TS but the structure is like this (Calamostachys), from here: https://steurh.home.xs4all.nl/engcalam/earen.html

5d53cb0610c88_Screenshot2019-08-14at09_47_59.png.efd4538679e0fa1cba8707b427f87e7b.png

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin