Do you measure radioactivity of your fossils?

KOI

Have you ever measured radioactivity of your fossils?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever measured radioactivity of your fossils?

• Yes
    • Never but would like to
    • Never and I do not care

Hi All,

I realize that the topic is not pleasant but "safety first" especially if you want to pass your passion to the next generation, right? We bought a Geiger counter and went over our fossil collection (see video below for the results). I wonder if that is a standard practice among collectors or not so much. I recently read a topic on this forum about somebody finding a pile of bones at Calvert cliffs. Could it be the case? I know I buried my dinobone slab after measuring it. I'm not saying anyone should get rid of the bones in their collection but being aware of the radioactivity levels would not hurt. Anyone care to share their experience in this area? Thanks!

• I found this Informative 2

31 minutes ago, KOI said:

Hi All,

I realize that the topic is not pleasant but "safety first" especially if you want to pass your passion to the next generation, right? We bought a Geiger counter and went over our fossil collection (see video below for the results). I wonder if that is a standard practice among collectors or not so much. I recently read a topic on this forum about somebody finding a pile of bones at Calvert cliffs. Could it be the case? I know I buried my dinobone slab after measuring it. I'm not saying anyone should get rid of the bones in their collection but being aware of the radioactivity levels would not hurt. Anyone care to share their experience in this area? Thanks!

The topic comes up from time to time .. if you search it was touched upon at least twice in 2017.  @Oxytropidoceras even did a bit of summarizing here:

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, KOI said:

For some reason, my search of the forum for "radioactivity" produced 0 results.

Don't know if it's just me but I 'think' .. where you search on the site matters.  You need to search for radioactivity on the home/main page, so that the search will crawl the whole site.  That is my understanding, I may be wrong.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

16 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Don't know if it's just me but I 'think' .. where you search on the site matters.  You need to search for radioactivity on the home/main page, so that the search will crawl the whole site.  That is my understanding, I may be wrong.

Cheers,

Brett

Yes, it makes a difference. Also, if the term used was "radioactive" and you search "radioactivity", or vice versa, you'll get zero hits. However, if you search radio you'll find both, plus any mention of ham radio or car radio. If you search "dioac" you'll get only the first two. If you write down what you're looking for and reduce it to least common denominator, so to speak, you'll find what you want without having to look through a lot of unrelated stuff. For instance if you search "fossil" you'll get almost half the posts on the forum.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!