Upcoming NY Trip - Cambrian Trilos?

MarcusFossils

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to New York State sometime in September, and although her main motive might be shopping, mine is - you guessed it - fossils!

Does anyone know of a place on could find Olenellus or Elliptocephala in New York? I know they can be found around Albany, but I can't find any obvious outcrops...

Aside from where to find Lower Cambrian trilobites, any other suggestions regarding great fossil outcrops in eastern New York are much appreciated!

Cheers,

Marc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Cambrian trilobites are known from New York State, but I'm not aware of any currently accessible outcrops.  Hopefully others can PM you with better info.  Also most of the published material has been isolated cephalons and pygidia, whole specimens are exceptionally rare.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I have heard of some Lower Cambrian sites east of the Hudson both north and south of Albany, but I'm not familiar with any specific locations. Trust me, if I did I would have visited them by now. If you do happen upon any sites, don't expect anything better than very fragmentary material.

8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

..most of the published material has been isolated cephalons and pygidia, whole specimens are exceptionally rare.

7 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

..don't expect anything better than very fragmentary material.

I'd be happy with a cephalon! 

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

I spoke with someone who went to an outcrop one time and didn’t find a single piece. I have no idea where it was but apparently Cambrian trilobites in New York have evaded people for some time. 

58 minutes ago, Paulie777 said:

Saratoga Springs has Cambrian trilobites from both the Teresa and Hoyt formations.

Do you have any particular outcrops to recommend? 

Edgar Allan Poe

6.4 kilometers west of saratoga on 9N there is an outcrop. Also, 20 miles west of Albany there is Thatcher park, but in the park there is a rock formation that you can find Cambrian fossils. google both sites to get more info.

1 minute ago, Paulie777 said:

6.4 kilometers west of saratoga on 9N there is an outcrop. Also, 20 miles west of Albany there is Thatcher park, but in the park there is a rock formation that you can find Cambrian fossils. google both sites to get more info.

Thanks! 

Edgar Allan Poe