placerville

I found this sandstone slab on our property in south west Colorado, near Placerville, and was struck by the spider like creature especially. There also seems to be a mollusk nearby this creature. But its legs would have been so fragile, hard to imagine how it could be a fossil. But it doesn't seem like just a random shape to me. Any thoughts? I had to reduce the pictures quite a bit to fit size requirements here.

DSC05824_edited.jpg

fossil2.jpg

fossil3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

To clarify, what was the outcrop? The rocks in the Placerville area are mostly terrestrial in origin but span a long period of time.

It's on an old logging trail/road, very steep. I marked an x where I think I picked it up- just a loose slab like so many on the trail. Our community is looking to place a well, that's why I have the specific map. I have a bigger geo map but not sure if I should post it, could send it in message. The second image is another possible fossil found on same trail. The central vein, (if that's what it is), is raised. The third image is of this trail which is steeper than image suggests with rocks scattered all over it. Thanks for your interest.

fossil4.jpg

fossil5.jpg

IMG_20190816_113735764_HDR.jpg

So I think that what you're seeing is root casts. I'm not totally sure, but I'm having a hard time making it into anything else. I'd be okay with that being Brushy Basin Member Morrison Formation...I've seen similar types of rocks in that area and elsewhere in the region. I was just curious about location because I've done some field work in your immediate area but relatively far down-section.

Well that's certainly interesting, thank you, jdp. Admittedly I was hoping it was from an inland sea! Also interesting that you know this location so well. I know they discovered Oradectes sanmiguelensis somewhere nearby and about 4 years ago I learned somehow that some research was going on I think near the river here during that summer in a fairly inaccessible place (of which there are many of course.) Anyway, thanks again. I'm an artist, not a geologist, but I have a good eye for patterns in nature.