Ccolvin968

Snorkeling Jax Beach

Ccolvin968

Hey all.

After being discouraged the past few days looking for creeks nearby or rivers low enough I've decided to plan a beach hunt this weekend in Jacksonville. 

The plan is to snorkel along the shoreline and dig/sift where it looks promising. Just to get out a little further than the average person would want to look.

Within the next week or two I also plan on making my way down to Venice Beach as well and do the same thing.

If I did my math right I'll have about 5 solid hours of low tide hunting, more if I dont mind going a bit deeper. (Which I don't)

caldigger

Remember to give us an outcome report on your quest and pictures of finds.

Ccolvin968

You bet! 

Absolute worst case scenario I end up with a day on the beach. :-)

digit

The waters on the Gulf side of Florida are often turbid when storms and heavy rains are in the area (like now). I've enjoyed stopping at various public beaches near Venice to put on snorkeling gear (or even dive gear) to inspect the shallow waters near the beach for fossils. When the visibility is sufficient, you can swim along till you see the tell-tale signs of black phosphate pebbles or phosphatically stained fossils. A zip-top bag is sufficient to bag up any finds while swimming around. Just be prepared for the possibility of visibility less than arm's length which can throw a wrench into your plans for spotting fossils in water.

The Peace River is over 13 feet too high and suicidally swift at the moment do that's not an option. Let us know how you make out with your efforts to find fossils on the non-dry side of the tideline. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

hamman88

If you have a boat, snoop around the spoil pile islands if you're in JAX near the mouth of the St. Johns.  I do not know where this is off limits though.

Ccolvin968

Pretty bad weather this weekend.

As long as there is no lightning (which there shouldn't be) I'll be heading to the beach this soon. Probably just going through the shallows and a bit into the water since visibility is probably low. 

Harry Pristis

You do realize, don't you, that blacktip sharks are biting people (often children) in the shallow turbid water on the beaches just south of JAX.

Ccolvin968

It's a risk anybody who gets in the ocean takes. I made it back without any bites!

Unfortunately though I was also skunked when it came to fossil hunting. Tons of people were out doing the same thing I was, but nobody was finding anything except very small teeth.

Maybe next time...

Bone Daddy

There is a saying about meteorite hunting that also applies to fossil hunting : a failed day of fossil hunting is better than a successful day of most other things.  :)

Nikki in Jax

Hi from Jax Beach! 

I don't think I've ever seen someone snorkeling out here with how murky the water is in Jax Beach.

I'm super interested to know if you came up with anything!

-Nikki