porshaman

Hello.  First I wanted to thank everyone who responded to me regarding the "bear-dog-Hyena" pictures.  I have since identified the specimen as Pachycrocuta brevirostris.  So for those of you said "Hyena", you were correct.  At first I though it might be a Dinocrocuta, however, areas of the skull simply did not match up.

Anyways, I have attached pictures of what I am sure to be a Eurasian Cave Lion.  I would like to know if these specimens are common since I may be in the position to purchase it.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. 

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

Looks like a cool piece. We do not give valuations here on the forum. If the price offered seems reasonable to you for an unusual piece like this, then the price is the value. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

As stated in the Forum Rules and Community Standards:  

"Please understand that The Fossil Forum cannot appraise the commercial value of a fossil ; this is beyond what can be done through pictures on the internet, so please don't ask."

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm not getting the cat vibes on this and think it may be Hyena. Here's a pic of an American lion skull I took at the Black Hills Institute.

IMG_4245.thumb.JPG.3c0293143b30f0b6042f7147c1baac19.JPG

And here's a pic of a Eurasian Cave Lion from Wikipedia

Image result for panthera spelaea skull

• 3 weeks later...

You were absolutely correct.  What I have is a hyena....probably a cave hyena.  It did have some cat characteristics but it definitely is a hyena.  Thanks again for your help!! 

3 minutes ago, porshaman said:

You were absolutely correct.  What I have is a hyena....probably a cave hyena.  It did have some cat characteristics but it definitely is a hyena.  Thanks again for your help!! 

You're welcome! And congratulations on a cool fossil. 

Thank you!  I just joined this site recently and am still learning the ropes.....but I cannot believe the expertise I have already encountered as well as the integrity!!  Truly a first rate site!!!!! 

We have a great membership with a diversity and depth of knowledge that is truly awesome. We also work to keep this place an inviting forum free from the noise that is so baked-in with other social media sites. We're always glad when someone notices the refreshing difference. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken