sharkdoctor

@Gizmo and I had a chance to get to a couple of sites in eastern Virginia during the super dry conditions that we are having during August. We hit the water early, after a rare cooler night. The mist over the stream made navigation a little tougher, but the view was beautiful! I had a moment of clarity in understanding that a strong part of my love of fossil hunting is that it takes me to beautiful and wild out-of-the-way places. 

IMG_4905.thumb.JPG.ca73e9cee0fb1675bc5108a21669cec9.JPG

The water conditions made for some interesting finds out of the Calvert Formation. We did some bulk sampling for a museum project but mostly got in some surface collecting. Some highlights below. The coprolites really made my day! I came away with a bag full, but the big butt nugget in the first photo made me holler like I was stung when I first saw it.

As usual, posting as-is due to a lack of time and interest in prepping at the moment.

Coprolites of various types, an unusual axis and a nearly complete stringray barb

5d55a067491f1_Mixedcoprolite_resize.thumb.jpg.4cc812c55dc7996bed8bcc05cbca94a4.jpg

A couple of interesting teeth

5d55a06bf0238_Teeth_resize.thumb.jpg.89179a3bbd689a234388b0209b2a9e25.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Thanks for the heads-up! Would you be willing to send a screenshot of what you see. They are acting normal on my side. Maybe because I created post?

@Gizmo

35 minutes ago, sharkdoctor said:

Thanks for the heads-up! Would you be willing to send a screenshot of what you see. They are acting normal on my side. Maybe because I created post?

@Gizmo

Look fine on my end

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds! :dinothumb: That is a big coprolite.

I find it somewhat humorous how excited we all get over fossils (me included!) No matter what it was before it fossilized.

Insects like mosquitos and gnats annoy us today, but if we find a piece of amber with them inside... Feathers are seen on our extant avian friends and used in all sorts of common things from dusters to pillows, but if we find a fossilized theropod feather... We think of poo today as gross, but if we find a fossilized one...

Ok. I need to stop... Now I want to go find/buy a piece of amber, a theropod feather, and a coprolite! See... I got excited just typing this! :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

How about an avian coprolite inside a chunk of amber? :drool:

:default_faint:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

23 hours ago, RJB said:

Wow!  Was not expecting such nice fossil teeth!!!

20 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Great finds Aaron!

20 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice finds :wub:

18 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Thanks! 

18 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I find it somewhat humorous how excited we all get over fossils (me included!) No matter what it was before it fossilized.

Insects like mosquitos and gnats annoy us today, but if we find a piece of amber with them inside... Feathers are seen on our extant avian friends and used in all sorts of common things from dusters to pillows, but if we find a fossilized theropod feather... We think of poo today as gross, but if we find a fossilized one...

Ok. I need to stop... Now I want to go find/buy a piece of amber, a theropod feather, and a coprolite! See... I got excited just typing this! :heartylaugh:

Great point @FossilNerd! I

Though I have to admit, now that I am into coprolite I pay way too much attention to modern fesces. I even went hunting for modern croc poo with Stephen Godfrey in Florida a couple years ago. I'm not sure what we would have done with it if we had actually found some intact.... Photographs? Somehow that just sounds weird in retrospect :eyeroll:

18 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wait.........is that a real thing? Is that possible? :zzzzscratchchin: 

4 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

Great point @FossilNerd! I

Though I have to admit, now that I am into coprolite I pay way too much attention to modern fesces. I even went hunting for modern croc poo with Stephen Godfrey in Florida a couple years ago. I'm not sure what we would have done with it if we had actually found some intact.... Photographs? Somehow that just sounds weird in retrospect :eyeroll:

Don’t worry about it! We are all a little weird here. At least that’s what the people who don’t collect fossils tell me. I tend to think we are the normal ones and they are weird! ;) 

BTW... I know a lot of local extant animals by their poo. Knowing that a certain animal has been around is helpful in a lot of situations, and you have to look at all the evidence. Even poo! 

• I found this Informative 2

On 8/16/2019 at 6:33 PM, FossilNerd said:

I tend to think we are the normal ones and they are weird! ;) 

....you have to look at all the evidence. Even poo! 

Agreed @FossilNerd! I may have to quote you in the non-fossil world regarding looking at all of the evidence, including poo.....

BTW, I see you are from KY. I grew up in Grant County, KY. Its hard to not grow fond of fossils when they are everywhere around you. As a kid, I remember walking into hay fields on ridge tops and picking up rocks that were full of seashells and coral.

Lol. Go ahead and quote me. ;) 

I grew up in Nelson County myself. A little south and west of Grant County. 

It is nice being in an area that is so prolific with fossils. My first memories of finding fossils were digging crinoids out of river rock that my dad had hauled in for our driveway as a kid. Our drive was gravel and it was cheaper to get the local guy to bring over a truck load of rock from the river than to buy it from the quarry. 

• 3 months later...

@sharkdoctor In your 2nd fossil picture, there are 2 shark teeth diagonally. They both appear to me to have cusplets. They look to me to be Great White Carchardon carcharias. I have been trying to better understand the GW. Since no pictures of the other side I could be completely wrong! Could these be juvenile meg teeth with cusplets?

Please tell me how you have id'ed them and their geologic age? Thanks

3 hours ago, fossilnut said:

@sharkdoctor In your 2nd fossil picture, there are 2 shark teeth diagonally. They both appear to me to have cusplets. They look to me to be Great White Carchardon carcharias. I have been trying to better understand the GW. Since no pictures of the other side I could be completely wrong! Could these be juvenile meg teeth with cusplets?

Please tell me how you have id'ed them and their geologic age? Thanks

@fossilnutThe two teeth mentioned are from the very base of the Calvert formation (lower to middle Miocene), which means they are Carcharocles chubutensis. You might find the following paper on the presence of cusped and uncusped Carcharochles teeth in the lower Calvert Formation interesting as you think about GW and cusped teeth from this region: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2018.1546732

On 16/08/2019 at 1:42 AM, caldigger said:

With a mosquito landed on it.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg