hittingthebeds

Hello Everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great day.

So in late September a friend of mine, someone you all may know as marcray154 on online is coming to NY to go on a little dig tour. And we are planning a meet up somewhere between where he is staying and where I am from. We have agreed on exploring the Rochester Shale, I know many of the better outcrops are on private land, however I'm just curious if anyone knows a spot where we won't be disturbing much and can move some serious stone. My DM's is always open if you're willing to share but not publicly, but looking forward to seeing who responds.

Thank you,

Hittingthebeds

I thought the better places (outside of the quarry)  were in the canal, which is only accessible during the winter, when the water is low? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I thought the better places (outside of the quarry)  were in the canal, which is only accessible during the winter, when the water is low? 

You may be right, I had only heard that and didn't confirm it I suppose. Just as a whole looking for a location to at least start looking, I know Middleport is the area I should look, but I need a little more specifics. 

I doubt that there are accessible outcrops where someone could "move some serious stone", by which I presume you mean quarrying on a Penn-Dixie sort of scale.  Should such outcrops exist on public land that's a good way to get them closed.  You'd be better off contacting private landowners who don't mind big holes on their property, if you can find them.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

34 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I doubt that there are accessible outcrops where someone could "move some serious stone", by which I presume you mean quarrying on a Penn-Dixie sort of scale.  Should such outcrops exist on public land that's a good way to get them closed.  You'd be better off contacting private landowners who don't mind big holes on their property, if you can find them.

Don

You're probably right, I was just curious as to if there was anything like that. I don't wanna step on toes or dig on private land without permission, thanks for the heads-up. Are you aware of any location I can just do some poking around? I really would love to get some Sirulian pieces as I am yet to have any in my collection. 

Unfortunately the Rochester is a soft shale, easily eroded.  Natural outcrops are rare and small, except for in the Niagara gorge where they are off limits.  The canal has the most extensive publicly accessible outcrops.  

Don

• I found this Informative 2

12 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Unfortunately the Rochester is a soft shale, easily eroded.  Natural outcrops are rare and small, except for in the Niagara gorge where they are off limits.  The canal has the most extensive publicly accessible outcrops.  

Don

Thanks again, Don!