Osteoderm, but from what?

Chippewa

The boney armor plates that I have found have either been giant armadillo or Glyptodont or Alligator.  This one I found years ago doesn't look like any of those, but maybe it is just from a different area of the animal?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

The 1st photo is reminiscent of  Sting ray mouth plate... grasping for straws

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

sorry garyc, I should have been more clear on the photos.  Top, bottom and side views of the same fossil.

17 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

The 1st photo is reminiscent of  Sting ray mouth plate... grasping for straws

I agree, but look how thick it is.  It is 1/2' thick, so too thick for mouth plate.  and look how it is (kind of) a hexagonal pattern that you see on boney armor...

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Not exactly the most recognizable pattern, but otherwise it looks more like a glyptodontid.

I agree and am wondering if the head or other areas have this different/random pattern unlike the main back osteoderms that are very distinctive.

24 minutes ago, Chippewa said:

I agree and am wondering if the head or other areas have this different/random pattern unlike the main back osteoderms that are very distinctive.

The tail or possibly the lower perimeter  would seem likely to me. Some of them had elaborate tail weaponry.

• I found this Informative 1