Still_human

Can anyone identify these as spinosaurus bones. Ive come across these pictures with very little information, other than apparently spinosaur bones from Morocco. I think the verts look clearly spinosaur, but I'm not very familiar with spinosaur long bones, although they immediately struck me as looking a little off. Maybe them being flattened is throwing me off. This seemed like a perfect opportunity for not just help learning spino long bones, but also while dealing with details like that, which can interfere with "standard" identification. In the 4th picture, the fossil on the bottom right--is that a vert with a long bone next to it? It's positioned like the sail of the vert, and seems to be attached to the vert but something about the bone looks wrong for part of the sail, to me...maybe that it looks like it's rounded along the length's edge, which I thought was not how they were shaped(if I'm wrong, I could also be just picturing dimetrodon sail spines...well, or just plain wrong, of course)? ...As well as looking just like the other long bones present.

Thanks for any and all help! 

IMG_0314.PNG

IMG_0315.PNG

IMG_0316.PNG

IMG_0317.PNG

The bone in the middle of the 1st and 4th picture look like a theropod  metatarsal to me.

Do you know the size of the bones?

Wow this is something special as these come from the phosphate mines known as the ouled abdoun basin. Might want to think about taking this piece to the museum or contacting an expert in the field in the mean time @LordTrilobite @Troodon

These are from the phosphate beds judging by the colour and thus are not Spinosaur. It's a common practice to put the name Spinosaurus on stuff to make it sell better.

The vertebrae centra look like croc caudal to me.

The matrix also looks altered.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I'm just curious as the limb bones in picture 2 and 3 look to have collapsed in and would seem to be somewhat hollow

Without careful examination it's a difficult call but considering the localities rarity of dinosaur material and croc vert in that mix its highly probable it's all croc.

16 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

These are from the phosphate beds judging by the colour and thus are not Spinosaur. It's a common practice to put the name Spinosaurus on stuff to make it sell better.

The vertebrae centra look like croc caudal to me.

The matrix also looks altered.

Yeah, I looked through and they have 2 of those disturbingly awful "mosasaur skulls" that are made entirely of matrix with a small amount of mosasaur teeth along the "jaws", but other things look real, and these definitely look REAL, so I figured it was worth look into. They were at least honest to actually say they can't be totally sure they're actually spinosaurus bones. 

Wow, I thought those looked like spino verts*, but since among all of it, that's what you guys seem to be the most certain about, I guess that's just a reality check on just how many grains of salt I should take with my ability to ID these things, still!

Thanks everyone, for all your input and help!

*At least the 2 sideways verts in picture 4.

14 hours ago, Haravex said:

I'm just curious as the limb bones in picture 2 and 3 look to have collapsed in and would seem to be somewhat hollow

Those were my thoughts, too

Is that the neural arch on the vert on the bottom right of the 4th picture? If so, would that be within normal croc neural arch size?

The neural arches aren't especially tall imo.

These are definitely not spinosaurid, the shape is all wrong for that. No I'm sticking to it being likely all croc.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

13 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

The neural arches aren't especially tall imo.

These are definitely not spinosaurid, the shape is all wrong for that. No I'm sticking to it being likely all croc.

Cool, thanks so much:)