*Prepared by nature... ready for the scribe.

6ix

Ocean down our way has been pretty rough, so time to hit the beach again.  Main mission was to get some nice bone for a side project but good crabs are always priority.

@Doctor Mud couldnt make it due to flying from Australia and getting back before work on monday was a "bit of a mission".

Only a couple of photos sorry because it started *raining sideways* and my phone was getting covered in sand and water and popped up with a warning that the plug hole was getting wet.

The Cliffs have been moving and with some really big rocks that rolled 10 meters or so out across the beach so I was very cautious around the cliffs.

5d576ef39a55a_20190817_103537(Large).thumb.jpg.c2c59c102520c41d812ea79c3a46eb48.jpg

I know its probably not, but this looked to me like a shark tooth negative... I'm sure I've seen this one before...

5d576f2979a56_20190817_104809(Large).thumb.jpg.3aa46df6669e08e112e3113852ff9e9a.jpg

I threw this feller out onto the beach for my return journey incase I didnt come across anything better - however I didnt pick it up on the way back.

5d576f484b8a4_20190817_110737(Large).thumb.jpg.d81c2f02f7ca77b2e5053dd47bf8dcc8.jpg

Anyway after here it got too wet for the camera, and even my hunting wet weather gear was starting to soak through so no more photos.  The beach was not good, churned up but a lot was buried  - then I came across an old friend.

I found him a few months ago but had a full backpack.  Have tried to find him on a couple of trips since but no luck.  But - 150 metres to the north of when he was last seen - my back moaned as I flipped the rock and I knew I was committed.  

You cant leave one behind when nature has done such a good job already..

5d5770d7b5e83_IMG_0998(Large).thumb.JPG.60abf50a5bad27869f4bb61ad15a4888.JPG

@mamlambo - I see your 23 KG and raise you 10KG ;)

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks for sharing! I was thinking of you here in Australia and wondering what the storms had done to the beach.

I sure was tempted to do an impromptu mission to join you on the beach.

Glad you got to find that elusive concretion, bet your back isn’t though :shakehead:

Time for some “general anesthetic” and maybe we might see another report tomorrow.

I always love looking through the photos of other members and their trips. This site looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

Also, what hammer is that? I have yet to own a hammer specifically for fossil hunting and I'm trying to get some feedback. Thanks!

How big is the 33 kg monster?

Live to see an overall view of the guy. Looks like some big claw is gone but it will be big and might have complete legs!

The biggest crab I’ve seen was found like this.

Look forward to seeing it prepped!

LOL time for a "Scale Dog!!!"  I'll go take a photo IF I can get out of my chair.. probably time for some more anesthetic anyway.

• I found this Informative 1

@El_Hueso

There are cheap ones and good ones.. this was a good "priced" one I got from Hetties Rockshop in Akaroa.  I believe the brand is "Iron Brother" - its held up well to 5 years of bashing rocks.  My only complaint is the separation of the two materials of the hammer handle has a distinct ridge.  I have however "beat the snarge" out of it even using the pick as a chisel and hitting it with the 4LB hammer.

Most people go for Eastwing I think... I just got what was available as things like that are a little limited in New Zealand.

I'm actually embarrassed how rusty it is,  I left in the pack from last weekend.

Nope, cant see any legs.... on either side.  I think its got the potential to be the leggiest crab I have found.

but

its that really, really hard stuff.

1 hour ago, El_Hueso said:

I always love looking through the photos of other members and their trips. This site looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

Also, what hammer is that? I have yet to own a hammer specifically for fossil hunting and I'm trying to get some feedback. Thanks!

I like the estwing ones. You can get them on amazon and they are made in the usa. I recommend getting 2, one with a pointed end and a bricklayer one for the chiseled back end. I currently need to buy new ones myself as my kids left them while playing at st Leon roadcut and didn't realize it until we were home many hours away.

7 hours ago, El_Hueso said:

Have a look through these topics when you get a chance. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Man that’s a big one! I don’t know how you guys spot those crabs like that. Looks like any other rock on that beach to me. I guess it’s all in what you know and what’s in your area. I can spot a coral or brachiopod from a mile away. ;) 

Can’t wait to see you prep it! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I absolutely love seeing your post!  Great report and great pictures!  Just wish I was there with you in that rainstorm.  And also, looking forward to seeing the big rock all prepped out. 

RB

@6ix That is an awesome crab! Carrying that beast out of there must have been a killer for your legs - that cliff is so steep. Hopefully we can meet up for the next hunt :)

On 17.8.2019 at 6:05 AM, 6ix said:

5d577c67b17e5_20190817_155305(Large).thumb.jpg.35ac54efb6a6bf5e29dfebdc7da389dd.jpg

5d577cc3accdc_20190817_155322(Large).thumb.jpg.31fbd76243fb068e7b5d12c1e088450d.jpg

And how heavy is Sophie in comparison? Did you have to lug that thing uphill as well? I mean the concretion :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yeah, no hand trolley, just a backpack and another 5kg of pebbles, and some more for the tools.  Really feeling it now.

49 minutes ago, 6ix said:

Yeah, no hand trolley, just a backpack and another 5kg of pebbles, and some more for the tools.  Really feeling it now.

No return trip today?  :heartylaugh:Don't blame you!

Looks like the preservation should be good on that big one, nice dark brown shell.

Hey guys - thanks for the replies!  The back wasnt as sore as I expected today - but every time I walk past the crab it I do wince a little!  I think this one needs a proper name as well - I havent really felt the need to name any others but I have a feeling we will be spending a lot of time together...

I think I'm going to have to put a support under my prep desk to hold the extra weight.  It might be on there for a few years!!

A bit of advice please - I'm worried about the crack across it.  I have had a tap running fresh water over it to flush out any salt - I dont know for sure but I believe that the salt crystals expanding may be detrimental.  I was going to hit it with compressed air to blast out all the water, flush it again.  Should I be worried?  I was thinking of tipping a few shots of paraloid in it.

@Ludwigia - Yep Shanks' Pony all the way... Took this unfit feller a wee while ;)  I just weighed the Scale Dog.. she's 6.5Kg.

3 hours ago, 6ix said:

A bit of advice please - I'm worried about the crack across it.  I have had a tap running fresh water over it to flush out any salt - I dont know for sure but I believe that the salt crystals expanding may be detrimental.  I was going to hit it with compressed air to blast out all the water, flush it again.  Should I be worried?  I was thinking of tipping a few shots of paraloid in it

Hey 6ix, flushing it out is exactly the right thing to do. I would give it a week or two to dry before applying any glue.   I would fill it with super glue and reglue till it is full.   I have no experience with paraloid but im thinking that the super glue is stronger than paraloid?   Good luck

RB