6ix

*Prepared by nature... ready for the scribe.

Doctor Mud

Thanks for sharing! I was thinking of you here in Australia and wondering what the storms had done to the beach.

I sure was tempted to do an impromptu mission to join you on the beach.

Glad you got to find that elusive concretion, bet your back isn’t though :shakehead:

Time for some “general anesthetic” and maybe we might see another report tomorrow.

El_Hueso

I always love looking through the photos of other members and their trips. This site looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

Also, what hammer is that? I have yet to own a hammer specifically for fossil hunting and I'm trying to get some feedback. Thanks!

Doctor Mud

How big is the 33 kg monster?

Live to see an overall view of the guy. Looks like some big claw is gone but it will be big and might have complete legs!

The biggest crab I’ve seen was found like this.

Look forward to seeing it prepped!

6ix

LOL time for a "Scale Dog!!!"  I'll go take a photo IF I can get out of my chair.. probably time for some more anesthetic anyway.

6ix

5d577c67b17e5_20190817_155305(Large).thumb.jpg.35ac54efb6a6bf5e29dfebdc7da389dd.jpg

5d577cc3accdc_20190817_155322(Large).thumb.jpg.31fbd76243fb068e7b5d12c1e088450d.jpg

5d577cea157f7_IMG_1000(Large).thumb.JPG.2ce4bcc4381cb03db01503bd9c84284c.JPG

6ix

@El_Hueso

There are cheap ones and good ones.. this was a good "priced" one I got from Hetties Rockshop in Akaroa.  I believe the brand is "Iron Brother" - its held up well to 5 years of bashing rocks.  My only complaint is the separation of the two materials of the hammer handle has a distinct ridge.  I have however "beat the snarge" out of it even using the pick as a chisel and hitting it with the 4LB hammer.

Most people go for Eastwing I think... I just got what was available as things like that are a little limited in New Zealand.

I'm actually embarrassed how rusty it is,  I left in the pack from last weekend.

Doctor Mud

Wow! That is big. Any leg exposed on the side closest to Sophie (scale dog). 

6ix

Nope, cant see any legs.... on either side.  I think its got the potential to be the leggiest crab I have found.

but

its that really, really hard stuff.

smt126
1 hour ago, El_Hueso said:

I always love looking through the photos of other members and their trips. This site looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

Also, what hammer is that? I have yet to own a hammer specifically for fossil hunting and I'm trying to get some feedback. Thanks!

I like the estwing ones. You can get them on amazon and they are made in the usa. I recommend getting 2, one with a pointed end and a bricklayer one for the chiseled back end. I currently need to buy new ones myself as my kids left them while playing at st Leon roadcut and didn't realize it until we were home many hours away.

Fossildude19
7 hours ago, El_Hueso said:

Have a look through these topics when you get a chance. ;) 

FossilNerd

Man that’s a big one! I don’t know how you guys spot those crabs like that. Looks like any other rock on that beach to me. I guess it’s all in what you know and what’s in your area. I can spot a coral or brachiopod from a mile away. ;) 

Can’t wait to see you prep it! 

RJB

I absolutely love seeing your post!  Great report and great pictures!  Just wish I was there with you in that rainstorm.  And also, looking forward to seeing the big rock all prepped out. 

RB

El_Hueso

Thanks for the link Fossildude!

mamlambo

@6ix That is an awesome crab! Carrying that beast out of there must have been a killer for your legs - that cliff is so steep. Hopefully we can meet up for the next hunt :)

Ludwigia
On 17.8.2019 at 6:05 AM, 6ix said:

5d577c67b17e5_20190817_155305(Large).thumb.jpg.35ac54efb6a6bf5e29dfebdc7da389dd.jpg

5d577cc3accdc_20190817_155322(Large).thumb.jpg.31fbd76243fb068e7b5d12c1e088450d.jpg

And how heavy is Sophie in comparison? Did you have to lug that thing uphill as well? I mean the concretion :P

6ix

Yeah, no hand trolley, just a backpack and another 5kg of pebbles, and some more for the tools.  Really feeling it now.

Doctor Mud
49 minutes ago, 6ix said:

Yeah, no hand trolley, just a backpack and another 5kg of pebbles, and some more for the tools.  Really feeling it now.

No return trip today?  :heartylaugh:Don't blame you!

Looks like the preservation should be good on that big one, nice dark brown shell.

MB

Great !

:thumbsu:

6ix

Hey guys - thanks for the replies!  The back wasnt as sore as I expected today - but every time I walk past the crab it I do wince a little!  I think this one needs a proper name as well - I havent really felt the need to name any others but I have a feeling we will be spending a lot of time together...

I think I'm going to have to put a support under my prep desk to hold the extra weight.  It might be on there for a few years!!

A bit of advice please - I'm worried about the crack across it.  I have had a tap running fresh water over it to flush out any salt - I dont know for sure but I believe that the salt crystals expanding may be detrimental.  I was going to hit it with compressed air to blast out all the water, flush it again.  Should I be worried?  I was thinking of tipping a few shots of paraloid in it.

Bobby Rico

Great thread, thanks for sharing . :dinothumb: That’s a nice looking little dog too. 

6ix

@Ludwigia - Yep Shanks' Pony all the way... Took this unfit feller a wee while ;)  I just weighed the Scale Dog.. she's 6.5Kg.

RJB
3 hours ago, 6ix said:

A bit of advice please - I'm worried about the crack across it.  I have had a tap running fresh water over it to flush out any salt - I dont know for sure but I believe that the salt crystals expanding may be detrimental.  I was going to hit it with compressed air to blast out all the water, flush it again.  Should I be worried?  I was thinking of tipping a few shots of paraloid in it

Hey 6ix, flushing it out is exactly the right thing to do. I would give it a week or two to dry before applying any glue.   I would fill it with super glue and reglue till it is full.   I have no experience with paraloid but im thinking that the super glue is stronger than paraloid?   Good luck

RB  

6ix

Thanks for that RJB, I greatly appreciate your advice!