Carboniferous fossils ?

Rockwood

This was found in Nova Scotia, Canada, along the Bay of Fundy. Fossils in the area were typical carboniferous flora and small arthropod track ways. This was somewhat remote from other fossiliferous layers though.

I collected them thinking maybe fish scales, but with a closer look I wonder if they could be pieces of arthropod shell.  

Notice that they are recognizable mostly by their reflective nature. 

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

My first guess (and it is a guess) would be plant fragments, possibly charcoal from a forest fire which is quite common sometimes.

Tarquin

59 minutes ago, TqB said:

My first guess (and it is a guess) would be plant fragments, possibly charcoal from a forest fire which is quite common sometimes.

As I remember it was from a fall of boulders that appeared to be thick layered. It would seem consistent with increased erosion following a fire. 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

As I remember it was from a fall of boulders that appeared to be thick layered. It would seem consistent with increased erosion following a fire. 

I've been mulling this over and decided I better call bull on it before anyone felt obliged. :)

Maybe it's more likely that the fact that these pieces had been sorted from more fossiliferous sediment is a bit more in range of what can be thought of as evidence ?