dino egg with embryo/fetus

SuzieA Kitsap County, WA

Can you please explain to us why you think that this is a dino egg with embryo/fetus. I'm afraid that pictures aren't enough. It would also help if you would tell us exactly where it was found and also the stratigraphy/geological epoch if possible.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Why is the embryo outside of the egg? Why is the eggshell lumpy? If the egg is compressed why didn't the eggshell crack? What do the edges and the other side look like? There has been only ONE dinosaur theropod bone found in the whole state and that was on Sucia Island out in the ocean, so the odds of finding a dino egg are zip, zero, nada. This is an ironstone concretion that is suggestively egg-shaped when viewed from specific directions, but the embryo and the shell material bear no resemblance to the real thing.

Nice concretion, but, sorry, no egg.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

it's a beautiful concretion. I really like the patterning on it but It's not an egg for the reasons Mark pointed out. Keep at it though!

• I found this Informative 1

Absolutely not an egg.

Sorry, but this is just an ordinary rock. There's no egg shell detail present. That's not what embryos look like. And they are incredibly rare as well. Of all of the so called "dinosaur embryos" I have seen for sale on the internet, there wasn't a single one among them that was authentic. All of them were either faked or just regular rocks or concretions with suggestive shapes in them.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Well first, "Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.!"  I agree with the others that you have an interesting, suggestive concretion, not an egg.  Yours is not at all an unusual assumption among newer members of the hobby (and some of us older members, too); a completely understandable mis-identification.  So don't be discouraged by some of the seemingly pointed commentary; we all start out at a baseline and learn from there.  And again - Welcome to the Forum - and please continue to bring your questions to the group. That's how we all learn from each other.

• I found this Informative 6

Welcome to the forum!

nice looking concretion. I’d keep it in my collection of faux fossils. This group is made up from everything from professionals to newbies and we welcome all! Don’t be afraid to ask questions it’s how we all learn. Like grandpa says we all started out the same and we grow from there! The only dumb question is the one that’s not asked so feel free to jump in! Looking forward to your next find!

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Why is the embryo outside of the egg?

The chemical makeup of the yolk sack facilitates preservation of the embryo and it's self while conditions fail to preserve the remainder of the egg ?

Likely not actually what is represented here but worth questioning.

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The chemical makeup of the yolk sack facilitates preservation of the embryo and it's self while conditions fail to preserve the remainder of the egg ?

Likely not actually what is represented here but worth questioning.

...and therefore preserves the skin, but not the bones. Interesting. Is "it's self" (it is self) the same as itself or the same as its self, or are you just shooting for a gender-fluid description? I question the worth of representing what is not likely actual. :zzzzscratchchin::heartylaugh:

P.S. -- I totally despise failing conditions. They are extremely undependable in my experience.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

20 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

There has been only ONE dinosaur theropod bone found in the whole state and that was on Sucia Island out in the ocean, so the odds of finding a dino egg are zip, zero, nada.

So what are you really trying to say? :default_rofl:

Thank you all! I appreciate everyone's input. And "Grandpa" thank you for your kind words.

• I found this Informative 4

12 minutes ago, SuzieA Kitsap County, WA said:

"Grandpa" thank you for your kind words.

You're very kind.  I certainly hope you feel welcome to the forum.

On 19/08/2019 at 12:00 AM, grandpa said:

.  So don't be discouraged by some of the seemingly pointed commentary; we all start out at a baseline and learn from there. 

That is some wise worlds . :dinothumb:

Welcome to the forum@SuzieA Kitsap County, WA and I am looking forward to seeing more of your finds. 

Bobby

Welcome to the forum @SuzieA Kitsap County, WA from France. Your concretion is a pareidolia. If you want to see nice ones you can read that post :

Cheers,

Sophie.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg