markjw

Etobicoke Creek delivers a home run in the bottom of the 9th

Monica

Great finds, Mark - congrats to you and your wife!

Do you think the large cephalopod chunk could be a piece of Endoceras?  I think they can be found throughout Ontario's Ordovician rock, including the Georgian Bay Formation.

markjw
10 hours ago, Monica said:

Great finds, Mark - congrats to you and your wife!

Do you think the large cephalopod chunk could be a piece of Endoceras?  I think they can be found throughout Ontario's Ordovician rock, including the Georgian Bay Formation.

Interesting thought! I imagined that genus to have rings with slight concavities, or a little dip in the middle. Basing this on the Gull River rocks, and on Alice E. Wilson's Ottawa area catalogue. But I am shakey on IDs, so it is a promising possibility.

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Wonder why Hessin is so cursory about Georgian Bay formation? Seems not to have photos of many of our types.

Monica
36 minutes ago, markjw said:

P.S. Wonder why Hessin is so cursory about Georgian Bay formation? Seems not to have photos of many of our types.

I can't be sure, but I imagine his book focuses on where he personally collected most of the time, and since I think he's from the Cobourg area, perhaps he focused more on the fauna found in the rocks further east of us.  Just a thought. :)