Ankylosaur armor?

PaleoNoel

I was hoping some folks on the forum could confirm this ID for me. I found this interesting little piece in the hell creek formation of South Dakota back in July with Paleoprospectors. I was told by one of the guides that it could potentially be a piece of skull armor from a young ankylosaur. I want to know what everyone here thinks.

IMG_4517.thumb.JPG.3e94c4e80911a384494aeaa678601a56.JPG

IMG_4518.thumb.JPG.e8b4f9ae3f96a6e6f82e6f6113491e0a.JPG

I am sure @Troodon may have an opinion to offer but here are some different Ankylosaur skulls for comparison. I hope these are helpful.

800px-Zuul_skull.jpg

DEI5VCfXoAA-rhj.jpg

lossy-page1-800px-Anodontosaurus.tif.jpg

Not sure, guess it can be an osteoderm from an Ankylosaur/Nodosaur.  Probably from a post cranial location if its one.

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I am sure @Troodon may have an opinion to offer but here are some different Ankylosaur skulls for comparison. I hope these are helpful.

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Not sure, guess it can be an osteoderm from an Ankylosaur/Nodosaur.  Probably from a post cranial location if its one.

Thanks for your input.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was poking around @Troodon's Two Medicine thread on my drive back from Montana and noted this osteoderm with a similar bottom to my piece above. A bit of folding in the bone that makes it look somewhat like a whale ear bone. While my specimen is under 3 cm, this Two Med piece is 15 cm. 

post-10935-0-11442400-1444062819.jpg