Oreodont Skull Restoration

Hi All,

I came across this Merycoidodon Oreodont Skull and was curious as to the actual level of restoration that's been done. As far as I can tell the grey putty filling is where work has been done to stabilize the skull, but bones haven't been recreated. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks!

-Barret

oligocene-merycoidodon-oreodont-skull-1.thumb.jpg.3f8c0aa7b33ff81f91d1c4c7b6d06fed.jpg

oligocene-merycoidodon-oreodont-skull-1d.thumb.jpg.474e76f4a2ea1911a0ad0724e398c40d.jpg

oligocene-merycoidodon-oreodont-skull-1g.thumb.jpg.f7b3f23f8b6b277babf35580f13db52c.jpg

oligocene-merycoidodon-oreodont-skull-1h.thumb.jpg.c00534da82e8d45be90a8325f15f2923.jpg

oligocene-merycoidodon-oreodont-skull-1b.thumb.jpg.4074e950252b80223e2b0fe7128a71c5.jpg

Nice looking skull! After Blowing up the pictures on my iPad it looks like the bones are authentic. Lower jaw looks good and so does the right side of the skull. I am unsure about the left side though. The section is displaced and looks a little odd. I can’t tell if it’s from the crushing or if it’s been added. The contours don’t flow like they should and they don’t match the right side like I’d expect. But once again it could be crushing damage. I can’t confirm either way without having it in hand. If you’re thinking about buying If it was reasonable I might jump on it and put the bad side to the wall. If they were asking a premium then I might pass if it was me. Both sides are missing some pieces as you probably already know.

38F9EAFD-E0B5-4E77-B2FB-21136213FB2D.jpeg

6A93AE5F-AE82-4C96-A187-5003FEB17E51.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

To my eye this is a natural skull/lower; albeit with significant crushing to the left side. (Note the exposed roots - I feel that is the natural look, as if the overlaying bone was lost in recovery. I would not think that is a "look" that would be used in reconstruction or monkey business. This view is strengthened by the missing left zygomatic process.) I don't see any putty. I take that material to be the natural matrix infill, smoothed during the prep. I like it, would display it proudly. Your mileage may vary. Have fun. 

Edit: Looked at the photos again. Yikes! missing a lot of nasal bone as well. I still like it.

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks for taking a look! If I had to guess, the difference between the two sides of the skull are due to crushing, but it's hard to say without seeing it in person.

I agree @snolly50. If I were compositing this skull I would have done a better job making it whole. Yes, a decent amount of bone missing from the left orbit/zygomatic process up through the tip of the nose. But the price is quite reasonable as a result.

23 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

To my eye this is a natural skull/lower; albeit with significant crushing to the left side. (Note the exposed roots - I feel that is the natural look, as if the overlaying bone was lost in recovery. I would not think that is a "look" that would be used in reconstruction or monkey business. This view is strengthened by the missing left zygomatic process.) I don't see any putty. I take that material to be the natural matrix infill, smoothed during the prep. I like it, would display it proudly. Your mileage may vary. Have fun. 

Edit: Looked at the photos again. Yikes! missing a lot of nasal bone as well. I still like it.

14 hours ago, Randyw said:

Nice looking skull! After Blowing up the pictures on my iPad it looks like the bones are authentic. Lower jaw looks good and so does the right side of the skull. I am unsure about the left side though. The section is displaced and looks a little odd. I can’t tell if it’s from the crushing or if it’s been added. The contours don’t flow like they should and they don’t match the right side like I’d expect. But once again it could be crushing damage. I can’t confirm either way without having it in hand. If you’re thinking about buying If it was reasonable I might jump on it and put the bad side to the wall. If they were asking a premium then I might pass if it was me. Both sides are missing some pieces as you probably already know.

38F9EAFD-E0B5-4E77-B2FB-21136213FB2D.jpeg

6A93AE5F-AE82-4C96-A187-5003FEB17E51.jpeg

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

Note the exposed roots - I feel that is the natural look, as if the overlaying bone was lost in recovery. I would not think that is a "look" that would be used in reconstruction or monkey business. This view is strengthened by the missing left zygomatic process

Oh yes this is a natural Oreodont piece of skull I’m just not sure it’s part of this one. The depression in front of the eye is different size then the other one and the curve of the eye socket appears different. Of course both of these could be from the crushing and probably is. I was just mentioning things to be looking for as to price and quality. As the op states in their reply that it’s quite reasonable I’d go for it in a second...LOL!

that right profile..:wub:

29 minutes ago, Randyw said:

as to the putty it’s in the damaged socket area

Thanks, enlarging does help a little. Indeed, part of that area has a texture unlike some of the rest. I was going chiefly on the tonal value; but on close spying do spot some "grayer" areas at various locations. Of course in hand with a pocket knife will quickly tell the tale. Thanks for your reasoned assessment. As stated, if the price is reasonable; it's all good from my perspective.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

As stated, if the price is reasonable; it's all good from my perspective.

+1 :thumbsu:

Not very nice resto IMO....looks like something which my little son has plastered together....:unsure:

But this is something that would be repairable, so if the rest is original and price is fine......

2 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Not very nice resto IMO....looks like something which my little son has plastered together....:unsure:

But this is something that would be repairable, so if the rest is original and price is fine......

More of an old school resto stlye of just filling in gaps and not adding bones.

I honestly see nothing wrong with the restoration here. Yes, there is some putty visible. But it seems like it was just to fill in some cracks to make a more presentable piece. I like that no extra fake bone was added honestly. But each specimen is different. What looks good on one specimen can ruin another.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I honestly see nothing wrong with the restoration here. Yes, there is some putty visible. But it seems like it was just to fill in some cracks to make a more presentable piece. I like that no extra fake bone was added honestly. But each specimen is different. What looks good on one specimen can ruin another.

+1 whoever restored this did a fairly good job. Especially on the right profile.  The left lower jaw is added and the left face and cheek area has been added where I marked on an earlier picture but it’s a fairly close match. it’s actaully Oreodont bone and not fake and so I could live with it seeing as how the o p says it’s reasonably priced. So yess all in all a nice piece! I’d be happy to have it in my collection.

Could be. Or it just might be the correct cheek on there that was just reattached if it was broken before. That would explain the putty.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Anything is possible and crushing and fossilization can do weird things to bones that’s for sure! I’ve been blowing up and studying the pictures off and on since they were originally posted and I’m still only around 60%  sure those pieces were added.LOL! But I still love the piece!

Cheers. Thanks for weighing in everyone! 

Ended up ordering it as the price was right :). Should be arriving in the next week or so.

The jury’s still out on whether the upper left jaw was added. Who knows :zen:. There are a couple areas where putty was applied that could likely use some smoothing out. @LordTrilobite liking the lack of added bone as well. But that’s just a preference :trex: