Bone ID - very specific shape

edubya

Another find in Glendive, MT. This piece was found along with other shattered pieces of bone and we jacketed them together. I am slowly working to reconstruct, and this is the biggest whole piece I have. The shape is so specific, I am curious as to if anyone knows at least where in the body this bone was (arm, leg rib, ect) I'd appreciate it! And if you know even more, all the better! Thanks for looking 

20190819_150828.jpg

20190819_150757.jpg

20190819_150751.jpg

20190819_150744.jpg

I’m no expert on dinosaurs and fossils but I am a butcher and that cross section reminds me on a bovine fore shin (radius?)

53 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Well if it's cretaceous, it looks a bit similar to the hadrosaur humerus I'm piecing together at the moment. For reference:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/97689-hadrosaur-humerus-repairprep/

The middle of the humerus can be quite triangular in cross section like that.

Woah! I almost jumped out of my chair because I have another unidentified bone piece (not the one in this post) I got at a show and it matches your pictures perfectly. So that is one solved! I can see your guess on the one pictured, maybe I have 2 pieces of hadrosaur humerus.

Quick secondary question: how similar do the humerus' look on different dinosaur species? Mine looks pretty similar to yours. The dealer said it was from the jurassic though. 

20190819_164326.jpg

20190819_164337.jpg

If it's Jurassic and if it's similar to hadro humerus, then Camptosaurus might be a possibility. Camptosaurus is an iguanodontian and thus is fairly similar to hadrosaurids, just more primitive. It's humerus is similar but less defined. Within hadrosaurids though, their humeri are very, very similar.

I would suggest trying to piece any matching bone pieces together so that you can possibly get a better idea what you're dealing with.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite