degrbi

Penn Dixie, Disappointed

degrbi

I recently became a member of the HNHS (Hamburg Natural History Society), and took my first trip out there since the spring.  I had some success there, and came away with a couple complete specimens, although they are very rare.  This time, the grounds were so picked over and depleted that I considered it a waste of time.  The only exposed beds were completely monopolized, and the people were quite rude when I tried to set up nearby, asking me to find somewhere else to dig.  On top of this, one of my favorite places to go, has been cordoned off now. (The small tributary that feeds into Rush Creek)  This has always been my favorite spot to dig, and all of the complete specimens I have came from that area.  When I asked the staff about this, they stated safety concerns, saying that the layers of limestone that overlay the shale might fall.  (Isn't this always a risk when hunting in a cliff?) The piles of scree that were dug earlier in the year are nothing but rubble now.  I guess what I'm seeking is somewhere where fresh rockfalls are accessible, and I know that with the privatization of the lakeshore, anywhere, there is precious little left to us.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Derek 

Jeffrey P

If you liked collecting in the Wanakah Shale that was exposed underneath the limestone layer which you say is now cordoned off, you might want to check out the Spinatrypa layer. which is just a few feet above the Wanakah and the limestone. Plenty of brachs and other fossils very similar to the Wanakah. Penn Dixie staff, if they're not too busy would likely show you where it is. Good luck. Plenty of good advice in the other posts as well. 

degrbi

Thank you for the advise concerning Penn Dixie, to everyone who offered.  I understand that it's usually a major undertaking to expose fresh material, something that, as I generally collect by myself, is too much of an undertaking. (one of the reasons I liked the stream so much, the water had already done the bulk of the exposure.)  I was hoping someone might have some suggestions concerning other locations, possibly along Lake Erie, or any of the streams.  When I was younger, I used to make regular trips to the mouth of Eighteenmile Creek, but I know that someone has posted all of the property now.  Smokes Creek also used to be a good place to collect, but I am at a loss as to where to access it now.  It would seem that any creek that enters lake Erie south of Buffalo would be a good candidate for fresh collapses. (I know better than to dig in the cliffs.)  Has anyone had any luck with the fishing access point on Old Lakeshore Road, or at the end of Versailles Plank?  I guess I'm just looking for other options.

Thanks,

Derek

Erosionofspecies
On 8/19/2019 at 9:50 PM, degrbi said:

Thank you for the advise concerning Penn Dixie, to everyone who offered.  I understand that it's usually a major undertaking to expose fresh material, something that, as I generally collect by myself, is too much of an undertaking. (one of the reasons I liked the stream so much, the water had already done the bulk of the exposure.)  I was hoping someone might have some suggestions concerning other locations, possibly along Lake Erie, or any of the streams.  When I was younger, I used to make regular trips to the mouth of Eighteenmile Creek, but I know that someone has posted all of the property now.  Smokes Creek also used to be a good place to collect, but I am at a loss as to where to access it now.  It would seem that any creek that enters lake Erie south of Buffalo would be a good candidate for fresh collapses. (I know better than to dig in the cliffs.)  Has anyone had any luck with the fishing access point on Old Lakeshore Road, or at the end of Versailles Plank?  I guess I'm just looking for other options.

Thanks,

Derek

Versailles has been a pretty good spot for Goniatites, lots of them in the cliff spoils up and down the creek before the mouth to Erie.