Vertebrate Fossils from Hong Kong and Thailand

Huntonia

Quick question, I am aware it is illegal to export vertebrate fossils from China to other countries. Is it legal to ship them to the U.S. from Hong Kong, and Thailand?

1 hour ago, Huntonia said:

Quick question, I am aware it is illegal to export vertebrate fossils from China to other countries. Is it legal to ship them to the U.S. from Hong Kong, and Thailand?

Hong Kong and Thailand are "other countries". You would first have to ship them there from China, which is illegal, so why not just skip the middleman and ship directly to the U.S.?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I believe the fossils were found in in Hong Kong and Thailand. I am looking at whooly rhinoceros fossils, I was just checking to see if Hong Kong and Thailand have similar restrictions to China. Even if the fossils were originally found in China if they were exported before the ban it's legal. (At least that's my understanding from the reading I've done.) 

The easy suggestions found in opinion will not be much support for your defense in the case of any legal action.  It's best to read and understand those country's laws from their official sources.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

9 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

I believe the fossils were found in in Hong Kong and Thailand. I am looking at whooly rhinoceros fossils, I was just checking to see if Hong Kong and Thailand have similar restrictions to China. Even if the fossils were originally found in China if they were exported before the ban it's legal. (At least that's my understanding from the reading I've done.) 

Aha! I don't think there are any restrictions from Thailand or Hong Kong if they are common readily-available species. Anything that is rare or historically significant will be subject to each country's antiquities act. Woolly rhino bits and pieces are probably not a problem. An entire woolly rhino on the other hand will most probably not be allowed to leave the country of its origin. 

Best course of action is to ask the customs people of the country in question with specific information.

Mark.

Unfortunately I've been having a hard time finding the exact laws concerning issues of fossil exportation from these countries. If anyone knows any good resources I could use for research purposes I would really appreciate it.

Hong Kong is China so all laws that apply to China also apply to H K.  Thailand prohibited export of Dinosaur fossils a number of years ago.  My guess is that it also applied to all vertebrate fossils.

21 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Hong Kong is China so all laws that apply to China also apply to H K.  Thailand prohibited export of Dinosaur fossils a number of years ago.  My guess is that it also applied to all vertebrate fossils.

Good to know. In that case I will steer clear of the whooly rhino teeth.

4 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Good to know. In that case I will steer clear of the whooly rhino teeth.

Contact customs officials in Thailand. They will know what can leave the country.

Mark.

• 1 month later...