A hike through the Wutach

Ludwigia

This past Sunday, I decided to pay my friend a visit at his workplace in the Wutach valley which I reported on recently. I left home a few hours earlier than he did since I wanted to visit a site on the way which another friend had told me about. This was off of a steep path through the woods which I had never taken before, so I was looking forward to excercising my calves and thighs. The way took me a kilometer or so uphill until I reached what appeared to be the pinnacle, which was where the exposure in the humphriesianum zone was supposed to be which I had been looking for. Up to that point I had hardly noticed any exposures, so I was happy to discover an approximately 20 meter long one here just below the path. Downed the knapsack, pulled out the tools and went at it. After a few minutes, however, I noticed that I obviously hadn't reached the highest point, since I was digging in the Aalenium, the epoch where I feel most at home, so it works like a magnet on me. Surprise, surprise. Funnily enough, I ended up making my best finds here. Spent about 2 hours prying away at well-weathered rock which obviously had not been touched by collectors for a good long time. I think I'll come back soon for another visit. Anyway, I carried on afterwards up the hill and eventually found the exposure I had been originally looking for. Spent an hour or so exploring it, but didn't come up with any ammonites as I'd been hoping. Did find a nice bivalve however. After I was done there I headed on over to my friend, a brisk walk of a couple of kilometers through the woods over flat land. Just a bit of downhill slipping and sliding at the end to get to him. Good thing I could hear him hammering since it wasn't all that easy to orientate myself for all the trees and shrubs. Then I just relaxed, drank a lot of water and watched him sweating at it. He'd had enough after an hour or so, so we made our way together down to his car and he drove me back to mine, which was a welcome relief for me. Here are the finds I made, already prepped and finished. The first is a Ludwigia haugi, my avatar, the next ones are Ancolioceras opalinoides and finally the bivalve from the humphriesi oolite, a Ctenostreon proboscideum.

A1490a.thumb.jpg.1844c7477d8ba07cd51bb6b4a9999969.jpg    

A1490b.thumb.jpg.dbec076f6b2379541b582756c8a09a4a.jpg

1c.thumb.jpg.daecb3025cbbcc3a6a1e7be7e541ca67.jpg

2c.thumb.jpg.26ee601bb0b836034523e8f648657ce4.jpg

3d.thumb.jpg.0abe7dae8a7c05f61a7c474385ab26b2.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for taking us on your hunt, Roger. Great finds and prep as always.

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Great finds once again, Roger!

(Actually, I was thinking of you today because I was writing labels for my Middle and Upper Jurassic fossils, and since I have been lucky enough to acquire some of your ammonites over the last few years, I found myself writing "Ludwigia from TFF" on many labels :))

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Thanks for taking us on your hunt, Roger. Great finds and prep as always.

6 hours ago, Monica said:

Great finds once again, Roger!

(Actually, I was thinking of you today because I was writing labels for my Middle and Upper Jurassic fossils, and since I have been lucky enough to acquire some of your ammonites over the last few years, I found myself writing "Ludwigia from TFF" on many labels :))

Thanks. Like I said, I'll have to get back to that exposure in the Aalenian soon. And maybe I'll even remember to take my camera then.

Quality stuff! Thx for sharing. :) Might as well pay a visit to this area the next time I'm visiting my friend in Switzerland.

23 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

Quality stuff! Thx for sharing. :) Might as well pay a visit to this area the next time I'm visiting my friend in Switzerland.

It's worth a visit, but you have to know your way around.