Txrockett

7 hours ago, Txrockett said:

3 1/2 in. X 4 1/2 in. 

2 in. Wide

image.jpg

Found in  maybe Utah , New Mexico, Arizona  just a guess

+1 for septarian concretion. Very nice specimen.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.  I was going to guess fossil soccer ball, but I think the consensus is correct; it's a septarian nodule.  Potentially the cracks contain calcite xtals.  If it feels light for its size, it might even have a hollow center with xtal lining.  But, you'd have to crack it to find out.  If it were mine, I'm not sure what I'd do; it looks so neat as-is. :shrug:

How can we tell it's not an egg ?

Lack of egg shell structure. Thickness of the cracked sections, and apparent deformation of them while still soft. 

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for y’all ‘s response. I have found several fossils that somebody had left under the porch of the house my sister move-in in Utah. Also there was boxes of different mineral rocks.

14 hours ago, grandpa said:

Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.  I was going to guess fossil soccer ball, but I think the consensus is correct; it's a septarian nodule.  Potentially the cracks contain calcite xtals.  If it feels light for its size, it might even have a hollow center with xtal lining.  But, you'd have to crack it to find out.  If it were mine, I'm not sure what I'd do; it looks so neat as-is. :shrug:

Haven't seen the word xtal? Is this term used in mineralogy?

2 hours ago, Plax said:

Haven't seen the word xtal? Is this term used in mineralogy?

Yes, it is (I thought) a common short-hand for "crystal".  Sorry for the confusion. 

Xtal is (or was, now in the digital age) shorthand used in regards to radio crystals---- they determine the frequency (transmit & receive) of a radio.

Crystals are still sometimes used in digital equipment to provide a time base generator.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing