hokietech96

Fossil ID 1 (Shark Tooth)

hokietech96

Hi.  I just got back into shark teeth collecting.  Use to do it with my grandfather in Florida when I was much younger.  This is one of my teeth I found.  Have no idea what type it is.  Its a little over an inch from top to bottom.  Any thoughts.  Thank you in advance for any comments.

Mark

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4163.JPG

WhodamanHD

Looks like a worn great white (Carcharodon carcharias)

hokietech96

Thanks for your feedback!  Have you been to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland?  If so have you ever found a meg tooth there.  I live in NJ and so want to go there.  I think it will be the closest opportunity for me to find a Meg tooth

WhodamanHD
1 hour ago, hokietech96 said:

Thanks for your feedback!  Have you been to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland?  If so have you ever found a meg tooth there.  I live in NJ and so want to go there.  I think it will be the closest opportunity for me to find a Meg tooth

No problem! Indeed I have, quite a few times. I seem to have worse luck with megs than most, while I’ve found a few rarer things my only meg is extremely partial. I suggest going to flag ponds, Matoaka, or Brownies rather than CCSP by the way, will increase your chances rather dramatically. 

hokietech96

Its around a 4 hour drive for me to all those places.  Which one would you suggest would be my best chance in your opinion?

WhodamanHD
31 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

Its around a 4 hour drive for me to all those places.  Which one would you suggest would be my best chance in your opinion?

Brownies. The best fossils are around the bend, so try to come when tide is going down, bring waders or be ready to get wet, and keep your wits about you in case the tide rises too quickly or the cliffs become unstable. I’d suggest coming in the fall.

hokietech96

Thanks so much for the info.  I have an app to follow the tides.  What water way is Brownies on so I can track the tides?

WhodamanHD
2 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

Thanks so much for the info.  I have an app to follow the tides.  What water way is Brownies on so I can track the tides?

Just look up Chesapeake Beach tides, and you’ll find sites like this, which work well enough. 

hokietech96

Thanks so much!!

WhodamanHD
1 minute ago, hokietech96 said:

Thanks so much!!

No problem, you’re welcome to PM me with any further questions. 

hokietech96

Will do!