Fossil ID (Shark Tooth)

hokietech96

I look for teeth on the beach all the time and I found this one this summer.  It the 3rd one of this type I found this summer.  Is this a Bull Shark?  Sorry for my fingers.  Couldn't get the picture to focus on paper.  Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Mark

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

Carcharhinus (luecas?)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

that's what I thought; bull shark.  Never found on the beach in NJ but found 3 this year.  I have found much bigger teeth on the beach this summer than previous.

8 hours ago, Praefectus said:

I agree, Bull shark.

+1 Carcharhinus leucas

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thanks for everyone's feedback.  I know its only a bull shark, but its been my favorite tooth I found from the beach this year.

Very nice tooth.

Today I learned that you can find fossil shark teeth in New Jersey. :)

Some of my  favorite teeth are "common" ones. Sometimes the location or circumstances of the find are more important than the rarity of the species...

Interesting find for a beach. Pleistocene teeth wash up on NJ beaches occasionally.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

15 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Very nice tooth.

Today I learned that you can find fossil shark teeth in New Jersey. :)

Some of my  favorite teeth are "common" ones. Sometimes the location or circumstances of the find are more important than the rarity of the species...

Yes!

I collect Carcharhinus teeth, and have thousands; the definition of 'common' when one is talking Miocene-Pliocene teeth.  When I tell people I'm trying to speciate them, I get: "Why?"   :D

Though I must say, it might be paying off.  After hours (and hours) of examining, comparing & contrasting, I'm starting to believe that there are several more species that need to be added to the 'known species list' from some of the East Coast localities.

PS Have you been to Sewell, NJ yet?  Also, one can find small (usually worn) teeth at Cape May's 'Diamond Beach'

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana