fossilzz

These are some devonian finds from Arkona, Ontario, mainly from along the banks of the Ausable river. The formations exposed consist of the Arkona shale, the Hungry Hollow formation and the Widder formation.

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

Just FYI: the Hungry Hollow was reassigned as a member of the Widder Fm.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, fossilzz said:

Sadly most of the greenops I find are incomplete.

I hear that! We excavated for many years, and getting one or two complete greenies was a good day. 

Looks like you were into some good finding..... Hey Kane one or two a season is good finding!!!!

1 hour ago, fossilzz said:

They are quite fragile. Any idea what causes the isolated pyritization on their shells?

There was a lot of sulphide availability in the upper Widder, and so it is common to find a lot of pyritization of worm burrows, goniatites, etc. I've found nearly fully pyritized Greenops in those layers. 

2 hours ago, fossilzz said:

Sadly most of the greenops I find are incomplete.

But you did at least find one good one and you can be quite happy for that. Pyrite often forms in anaerobic environments, which was the case with these sediments.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

37 minutes ago, Kane said:

There was a lot of sulphide availability in the upper Widder, and so it is common to find a lot of pyritization of worm burrows, goniatites, etc. I've found nearly fully pyritized Greenops in those layers. 

Interesting. I've noticed that many trace fossils are pyritized in the Widder, as well as seemingly random deposits.