bocc54

Corys lane finds

bocc54

Hi All, 

I am new to fossil collecting and this was my first time hunting for them. I went to corys lane in RI. All I had with me was a hammer and I really had no clue what I was doing. The tide was low. Was I supposed to be looking/breaking the shale that was at the low tide line or was I supposed to look in the shale that had fallen from the bottom of the cliff? Do I even need to break the shale or will the fossils already be visible? I spent 4 hours there and found nothing up until my last 10 minutes there. Attached is what I found. I believe the first picture is a fern? And have no clue what the second one is. 

1D81E840-39B4-47FC-857F-671FE13EB502.jpeg

caldigger

Second is also a fern segment.

Nice finds!  At least now you know what you are looking for.  :thumbsu:

bocc54
20 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Second is also a fern segment.

Nice finds!  At least now you know what you are looking for.  :thumbsu:

Thank you! In the future do you recommend scouting the overhanging outcrops or should I be looking in the shale by the water / low tide line? Both of these were found by the overhanging outcrops.

caldigger

As I am completely unknowing of your hunting grounds, let's hope someone that goes there can answer your inquiry.

Pagurus
37 minutes ago, caldigger said:

As I am completely unknowing of your hunting grounds, let's hope someone that goes there can answer your inquiry.

2 hours ago, bocc54 said:

I went to corys lane in RI. All I had with me was a hammer and I really had no clue what I was doing. The tide was low. Was I supposed to be looking/breaking the shale that was at the low tide line or was I supposed to look in the shale that had fallen from the bottom of the cliff? Do I even need to break the shale or will the fossils already be visible? I spent 4 hours there and found nothing up until my last 10 minutes there. Attached is what I found. I believe the first picture is a fern? And have no clue what the second one is. 

I'm happy you were able to stay until you found those ferns! I've been to Corys Lane a few times, and skunked on one of those visits. I didn't have any tools with me since I hadn't planned on being there. I was vacationing nearby and the car just went into autodrive at the smell of fossil ferns. Corys Lane isn't an easy place to find nice specimens. You did well for your first trip there!  Personally, my best finds have been midway to higher up on the beach, but I've often done a lot of looking with very little finding. Here's a link to a somewhat successful trip that several of us made to the site awhile ago. I hope it's informative. Good luck on your next visit, and welcome to The Fossil Forum!  

:tff:

caldigger

Just read the linked report Mike. I hope you spurged for the split banana in your ice cream after that last find, you deserved it. What a beauty!

Pagurus
13 hours ago, caldigger said:

Just read the linked report Mike. I hope you spurged for the split banana in your ice cream after that last find, you deserved it. What a beauty!

Thanks, Doren. That was a good day, and the ice cream sundae made it even better.

Bguild

Hey there,

Yes, you've definitely got some tree fern imprints there :dinothumb:.

You definitely want to be looking further up the beach away from the shoreline. Then you'll want to dig down into the beach and start exposing rock with flat faces that can be split off. You won't find much laying around on the surface aside from throw aways from other collectors. Here's a snippet from another post of mine  with some tips for this locality.

The first good layer of shale is located at feet level/below the beach (some very light digging will get you there). You can find plant imprints in the upper part of the rock face, but haven't actually looked in this layer since it's located under the unstable overhang that keeps collapsing in places.

The shale you want to look in is dark grey in color. Stay away from the brittle, graphite shale (the stuff that is so brittle you can split it with your hands). This shale doesn't preserve the plant imprints well. You also want to stay away from the brownish-orange colored rock. Oh and make sure to bring your chisels and hammer.

If you take a look at the album on my profile you can see what typical finds look like from this location. The good stuff requires a decent amount of work to dig and pry up. Here's an example of Pecopteris sp. I found last summer.

59a8d1da583ae_FullSizeRender(69).thumb.jpg.3cbb96b1d122201c023fa14416991c37.jpg.2225112e1aa40be6746915fcba43faa8.jpg.f8532ac46f3977fa5d52ed22b69d5dfa.jpg