Trammel Fossil Park

DevonianDigger

DevonianDigger

Anyone here familiar with Trammel Fossil Park? I am in Dayton and I am going to be hitting a few places tomorrow. I want to go to Trammel first thing in the AM, but I can't find a ton of information on it online. My main question is what type of collecting is allowed? I have all my gear with me, 8lb. sledge, 5' & 3' prybars, chisels, etc. I don't have any power tools. Am I allowed to go to town there, or is that frowned upon? Thanks in advance for any info!

-J

My recollection is that no tools are allowed, but I'm not sure if that restriction would include a geological hammer.  I'm pretty certain that sledges, prybars, and "going to town" are right out.  Material is trucked in and dumped, and the target audience is families and especially kids.  Of course, I have never been there and I have only read about the place, so others may give different information.

Don

RoxHoundDawn

It is a very steep hill with many small fossils and larger broken ones. Mostly shells and noids. You can bring small tools to pry rocks, but nothing heavy duty. And you can take what you can carry.  It's set back on a street with small manufacturing businesses. There's a beautiful view of the sunset from the hillside as a bonus. 

• I found this Informative 2
DevonianDigger
On 8/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, FossilDAWG said:

My recollection is that no tools are allowed, but I'm not sure if that restriction would include a geological hammer.  I'm pretty certain that sledges, prybars, and "going to town" are right out.  Material is trucked in and dumped, and the target audience is families and especially kids.  Of course, I have never been there and I have only read about the place, so others may give different information.

Don

Just wanted to clarify that the material is not trucked in, it is definitely weathering out of the rock layers as that is where I found most of my goodies. I haven't photographed anything yet as I have everything boxed up in the trunk of my rental. Hopefully, I will be able to get some of it unpacked over the weekend once I am back home. But so far I have 12 boxes from this trip, so it might take a little while!

On 8/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, RoxHoundDawn said:

It is a very steep hill with many small fossils and larger broken ones. Mostly shells and noids. You can bring small tools to pry rocks, but nothing heavy duty. And you can take what you can carry.  It's set back on a street with small manufacturing businesses. There's a beautiful view of the sunset from the hillside as a bonus. 

Found tons of bryozoans, only one nice crinoid stem, a metric tonne of brachs, and some flexi bits. Nice view of the industrial park it's located in, not so nice air quality from the industrial park. Definitely a nice little spot that doesn't get its fair amount of attention!