Dinosaur Footprint Question

fossilguy312

Hello,

I have had a long interest in fossils and have acquired a small but very nice quality (at least in my opinion) collection over the years. I've recently become interested in dinosaur tracks/footprints and would like to add one to my collection. The thing is, I can't seem to find any anywhere that don't have staining/coloring applied to them. I understand that this makes them "easier to see" but to me it's kind of strange and detracts from the fossil. If the imprint can't be seen on its own, I don't really want it... The painting just looks a bit silly to me. I've only come across one so far that doesn't have staining on it, and it's this one here (I've included a picture below - the track itself is apparently a bit over 6 inches). But I don't know what to think about this one since the matrix seems cracked and repaired very heavily and the price is still seemingly very expensive (at least to me).

I would be very interested to know anyone's thoughts on how you approach dinosaur tracks. And if you have thoughts on this specific example, I'd certainly be open to hearing that too. Thanks a lot!!

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.16.08 PM.png

Welcome to the Forum from Austin, Tx.  Sorry I can't help with dino tracks, but someone hopefully will respond with some helpful info.

I still think that's a very attractive plate dispite the repairs.

I think I recall one of our members sold footprint slabs from Connecticut or Massachusetts ( Gary? )

Perhaps someone can put you in touch with him.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Personally I would avoid repaired tracks since others are constantly coming to the market.  One approach is to contact a diggers/dealers and work with them to provide you what you are looking for.   I will PM you one for you to checkout.

• I found this Informative 2