is it possible to find fossils in jurupa,riverside

whovin

Welcome to the Forum. Don’t forget to post your question in the body of your post where members will be more likely to see it. You say you are located in “cheese”. Is that near Riverside, California which is near Jurupa Valley?

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.  If you know how to do a search on the forum, go to home and search California.  Or wait for others familiar with the area around Riverside Ca. to respond.

I think Cheese is the unincorporated area between Riverside and San Bernardino. :heartylaugh:

50 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.  If you know how to do a search on the forum, go to home and search California.  Or wait for others familiar with the area around Riverside Ca. to respond.

thanks

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Forum. Don’t forget to post your question in the body of your post where members will be more likely to see it. You say you are located in “cheese”. Is that near Riverside, California which is near Jurupa Valley?

I used cheese to hide my location but im actually in Jurupa california

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

55 minutes ago, whovin said:

where can you find fossils in jurupa

I can't speak specifically to Jurupa, but I did find what might prove to be an interesting site for you:  https://californiafossils.org/

Hope you find it useful.  It seems to have a lot of info.

I don't know if this helps you since you probably won't be using an excavator, but it might give some hope.

A gentleman from our local rockhounding club was one of the chief hydrologists on I believe the Diamond Valley dam project.  They found tons of Pleistocene fauna such as Mammoth, Camel and other such while digging on the project.

I think he said they actually built a museum near the sight to house many of the finds. So you know they are out there!

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I don't know if this helps you since you probably won't be using an excavator, but it might give some hope.

A gentleman from our local rockhounding club was one of the chief hydrologists on I believe the Diamond Valley dam project.  They found tons of Pleistocene fauna such as Mammoth, Camel and other such while digging on the project.

I think he said they actually built a museum near the sight to house many of the finds. So you know they are out there!

thanks you, i thought i was hopeless on finding any fossils in california

7 hours ago, grandpa said:

I can't speak specifically to Jurupa, but I did find what might prove to be an interesting site for you:  https://californiafossils.org/

Hope you find it useful.  It seems to have a lot of info.

yes, the site is exteremely helpful, now i got different spots to dig. thanks you

Edited by whovin

If you take a pander at the "Fossil Sites" topic on this forum scroll down to California and you may find some places that interest you.

Welcome from a former So Cal resident. ( born and raised in Cucamonga long before that stupid "Rancho" thing ruined it ).

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

If you take a pander at the "Fossil Sites" topic on this forum scroll down to California and you may find some places that interest you.

Welcome from a former So Cal resident. ( born and raised in Cucamonga long before that stupid "Rancho" thing ruined it ).

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

have you ever found any fossils in california

18 minutes ago, whovin said:

have you ever found any fossils in california

I'll PM you some pics later.

I live just up from San Luis Obispo ( California's central coast ) and there are fossils everywhere ( pretty much all Miocene/ Pliocene marine ).  Now mind you the majority is on private agricultural and oil lease land and inaccessible.:(

I have found fossils in many areas in California, some are now off limits:shakehead:

Keep looking. By the way some amazing minerals come from Riverside, see if you can find an exposure of the contact metamorphic area near there. I have found a deep red florescent feldspsar in Riverside.