hokietech96

Hi.  Only 2-3 days into the forum.  I have spent a lot of time reading and its making me rethink how I store my shark teeth.  I have about 800 teeth stored glass jars; 1 jar for FL beach teeth; 1 jar for NJ Beach teeth; 1 for big brook teeth in NJ.  I was thinking of separating all the teeth by type for each area by using a nuts and bolts storage bin.  Anyone use something like this?  Thank you for any thoughts or comments in advance!

Mark 

RBM_10164.jpg

Hi Mark !

Welcome to the forum ... for anything above the level of leverites I have switched to Riker cases (made in the USA !) Those are arranged for me in a large card filing cabinet (?) sort of. They make organizing to a specific type/location and can be displayed fairly easily.

Ryker.jpg.2035533d7ab1578f626195a54071e195.jpg

Daymark_Island.jpg.364bf31908c21036b649ba421eb3e6bf.jpg

received_751665001918074.thumb.jpeg.052bc4c1cd9087a365b709b82dfc28a3.jpeg.f4c162833fe8ec69634dcf708af9661b.jpeg

For trades or giveaways and the occasional odds and ends I usually go with various size and shape stack-able solutions ... like these. You can see immediately what is inside without too much trouble and everything is laid out where I can see it.  You can change the size of the 'cells' to accommodate larger finds as well. Ok, well .. maybe not in these colors or specific style.  But still.

michaels-storage-bins-craft-storage-bins-es.thumb.jpg.4b5bfde71d4f90e788ba2b0a06afcd67.jpg

For the smaller and nicer finds you will see many members use gem jars laid out in trays.  Makes it easy to mark and identify on the back and they look great.

83-2M(BK).thumb.jpg.11bcc3de6a5702a7d8f1c1f3b386d76e.jpg

There are as many solutions as there are members on the forum so good luck ! .... you will find what best suits your space I'm sure.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, hokietech96 said:

Great feedback!  Thanks!  Haha I had to look up "leverites"  Always learning haha

Haha ... Oh yes.  Leaverites are extremely important the deeper you get into this hobby/vocation. It's good for the next person that comes along.  I think my wife would particularly protest pounds of teeth sitting in jars and collecting dust.  No hording here (ok, a little) :P . But it does help to come home and say "Honey !! .. you shoulda seen the teeth I passed up ... I only came home with these 20 beautiful specimens"

CreepyGrin.jpg.b20b5e7457dd7e9e66589a663a8cd210.jpg

She smiles .. mumbles something about .. that's nice dear .. and we move past it. 

Now, if I had come home with a good sized sack of bone bits and shiny little nibs ... haha

it-will-fit.jpg.f6dc612e9cfe77e7a50cddfa2c2b2493.jpg

Hokie, I started out with the nuts and bolts bins like you posted, but it was always a hassle having to open multiple drawers all the time to find the correct one.  

I would definately second the Riker mounts, plastic sorted cases so you can see what is in them and the gem jars for smalls.

I have a good source for the Rikers I can PM you if interested.

P.S. I do still keep the undisplayables I call "Nature's Blems" in a large plastic jar.

I would agree with the above posts, but don't let your stegosaurus walk on the Riker boxes, they can break. I keep a lot of batches in zip lock bags with date, finder and location labeled in sharpie marker.