Original phacops rana?

Al Tahan

Hey everyone,

This is a long shot......I am a fan of the history of paleontology. I love when science changes over time due to more observation and knowledge. Greenops boothi and phacops rana used to be the standard names for many New York trilobites. They are now split up into Eldredgeops rana and greenops grabaui, greenops barberi and a whole new Bellacartwrightia (spelling may be off sorry) genus.

I plan on going and collecting my own greenops boothi someday as I know the locality location described in literature. However the original Phacops rana is from Europe and is now called Phacops latifrons (if I’m not mistaken) and I have no way of obtaining a specimen and I don’t know if they are even available. 

I would love to own a piece of history if anyone has specimens of the European Phacops latifrons 

I have lots to trade :) . 

Thanks

Al

Al,

I think you might be mistaken about the "original Phacops rana".  Green described the species from a New York specimen, I'm pretty sure there is a photo in the Trilobites of New York book.  Phacops latifrons is (as I recall) the type species of the genus Phacops, but it has never been the type of Phacops rana.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Al,

I think you might be mistaken about the "original Phacops rana".  Green described the species from a New York specimen, I'm pretty sure there is a photo in the Trilobites of New York book.  Phacops latifrons is (as I recall) the type species of the genus Phacops, but it has never been the type of Phacops rana.

Don

Haha wow sure seems like I am mistaken. :default_rofl:For some reason I thought phacops rana became phacops latifrons and the rana species became Eldredgeops. Way off lol.

thats what I get for a lack of research materials. There really aren’t many topics other than Gerry klocs post that discuses all the changes. At least I wasn’t able to find good answers online. 

thanks for helping me get it straight!!