BOTRYOIDAL CHALCEDONY QUESTION

WI-fossil-guy

I have some, what I believe to be, calcareous tufa. I will be posting photos of different specimens over multiple posts and days. All specimens are in partially composed of botryoidal chalcedony.  My main question has to with the fact that botryoidal chalcedony is a known pseudomorph in marine fossils. Many of my specimens look like they could be stromatolite-ish or algae-like.  Does anyone have knowledge or experience with botryoidal chalcedony and its association with fossils? Can stromatolites or algae sediments become pseudomorphed into botryoidal chalcedony?

The calcareous tufa rock that I will post in this message is definitely fossiliferous. You can plainly see three small marine fossils on the bottom-side of the fossil (What might they be?). Two are casts and one is a mold. Generally this rock is "bowl-shaped"  overall with a convex top and a concave underside. The rock's top surface is covered with botryoidal chalcedony. There is a  smaller amount of botryoidal chalcedony on the underside. Could the botryoidal chalcedony be a psuedomorph fossil?

The first photo (#1) shows the rock's upper-side; The second photo (#1B) shows the underside; The third and fourth photos (#1C & 1C-2) are the same fossil object (cast, about 0.5 mm): The fifth and sixth photos (#1D-1 & 1D-2) are the same fossil object (cast, about 1 mm): The seventh and eighth photos (#1E-1 & 1E-2) are the same fossil (mold, about 1.5mm):

Calcareous #1.jpg

Calcareous #1B.jpg

Calcareous #1C.jpg

Calcareous #1C-2.jpg

Calcareous #1D-1.jpg

Calcareous #1D-2.jpg

Calcareous #1E-1.jpg

Calcareous #1E-2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

@ynot because this is above my pay grade.

Cheers,

Brett

What?  You're getting paid?!!!

My union rep will hear about this! :angry:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Are You sure that is agate?

Could it be calcite?

Have You tested the hardness or to see if it fizzes in vinegar?

As For Your question about botryoidal agate...

It is a form of crystallization of silicate minerals which is developed in voids in rocks when oversaturated water deposits the mineral(s) on the surface of the void. Banding is typical as other minerals are deposited with the agate.

This type of agate is found as fossil geodes. Agatized coral from Florida is a good example.

I have not seen botryoidal agate in stromatolites as there was no voids in the original biomass, although I have seen agatized stromatolite material.

• I found this Informative 4

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

YNOT: Thanks for the feedback.  The rock does not react in vinegar. That means they are not calcareous, right? 

Any idea what it could be?