All the Cephalopods (Of Texas)

JamieLynn

Greetings from Texas! So I have posted previously about my hunt to find all the species of Echinoids in Texas. Well, I am also on the same fossil quest for all the ammonites, nautiloids, baculites, turrilites and belemnites I can find as well! When looking for one, you might as well look for the other!  So I thought I'd start a post of my ongoing hunt for all the cephalopods. I'll start with some of my finds from the recent past and I am still working on my identifications, so please do assist if you notice the wrong ID! Thanks and also post some of your finds! I'd love to see 'em! 

Start with some of my "backyard" finds (within 20 min drive). I am lucky to have quite a few hunting locals near me, so I occasionally find these lovely little Budaiceras from the Buda formation.

5d5e91d3944b1_AmmoniteBudaiceras(2).thumb.JPG.b17ab29d22775d9cf3bf3a7d87aff52e.JPG

I don't think this is Budaiceras, but i actually DID find it in my backyard.....in the creek behind my house, which is Edwards Formation, I believe. Not a great specimen, but the fact I found it in my actual backyard makes it special to me..

.5d5e936f5b1e0_ammonitebackyard(2).thumb.jpg.f894abf6723c7367ce5226ea7fdc0f12.jpg

I also find quite a few Engonoeras near me - usually small but decently preserved - I am fairly certain it is from the Glen Rose Formation: 5d5e94bc6b52b_AmmoniteEngonoceras.thumb.JPG.6f70e55ad1cc2f779ee03e5d923287cb.JPG

Another nice little section from a different spot, also Glen Rose:

Ammonite.thumb.JPG.e0d4d5c7944b33d7a1507b6a0e36a9f7.JPG

Best one, however, was from Harker Heights (which is a bit over an hour away) in the Walnut Formation: 

DSCN3462.thumb.JPG.7ef0e04e3ce0e2651698e69ca6aa025a.JPG

That'll do for now. More to come in the near future! 

• I found this Informative 5

Awesome stuff. Giving me a case of fossil fever down in Houston. I might have to brave the heat this weekend, and and do some driving...

4 hours ago, RuMert said:

If you are going to address all the geological periods it wll be an enormous task:)  Readily 5-10k species

hahhaahah! Yes, I know....so I will do my best to find All I Can Find! 

A few more specimens - first one from Austin Chalk in San Antonio Pachydiscus travisi: 

5d5f01a94b980_AmmonitePachydiscustravisi.thumb.JPG.b8f26dbea4221e59ed314073b0f7c986.JPG

And my biggest Eopachydiscus (not Planticeras) from Lake Whitney (a couple of Macraster echinoids next to it)

5d5f01cdabf20_ammonitesHillsboroPlanticeras.thumb.JPG.3cbaec32eec6bee2d938d39df74e7ac8.JPG

Thank you! I love the Engonoceras.....there are so many different suture patterns the differentiate the species. i am going to have to spend some time studying them closely to see if I can discern which I have. 

Trying to collect all the Texas fossil cephalopod species is certainly a fun goal, though of course likely impossible.  The quest should keep you busy for a very long time.  

Out of curiosity, why do you say "ammonites, baculites, turrilites"?  Baculites and Turrilites are ammonites.

Don

ahhh...I did not know baculites and turrilites were considered ammonites. I though ammonite just referred to the coiled spiral shell (excepting heteromorphs and such) and baculites were long straights and turrilites where whorled.  Still learning! 

well look at that... just looked it up and yep,  baculites are considered heteromorphs. So what would you call the coiiled "flat"  like I have listed above, to distinguish from other ammonites, like baculites? Anything to specifically distinguish? I really do not know proper terminology, obviously. At least I knew they were all cephalopods! hahhaha

47 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

well look at that... just looked it up and yep,  baculites are considered heteromorphs. So what would you call the coiiled "flat"  like I have listed above, to distinguish from other ammonites, like baculites? Anything to specifically distinguish? I really do not know proper terminology, obviously. At least I knew they were all cephalopods! hahhaha

Planispiral.

• I found this Informative 2