Back in Vermont’s Ordovician

Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone!

I found myself in Vermont today, and through much cajoling I convinced my parents to allow a detour to a fossil site a forum member let me know about a year ago. It is from the Crown Point Formation, Ordovician in age. 

The first time time I was there, about a year ago, I collected a ton of trilobite cross sections. While those are cool, this time I wanted to focus on finding ones worn in a slightly more favorable fashion, and perhaps one worthy of prep. Unfortunately, I didn’t find any worthy of prep, but I did find some decent trilo-bits. Also came home with a Gastropod and a funny piece of pareidolia (450 million year old Mr. Bill?). I didn’t have much space in the car reserved for fossils, so I was sparing in what I picked up. ‘Twas a fun hour or so indeed.

01F37676-6EB9-4892-B91E-C7FEA73DE27D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Isotelus thorax segment. Love me some Isotelus fossils.

02AC1A4D-B292-494E-964E-6EEC6292AFA4.jpeg

Edited by WhodamanHD
  • I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

pareidolia

FB95F44F-02C1-4DB0-802A-6B815951121E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Happy hunting,

Mason

Gastropod

8BF50CC2-B0C8-4BF5-A474-EC3CB5F2E825.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Pygidium exposed nicely

489A7A7A-131B-4E6D-AE62-6909B0F3CA98.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

More trilo-bits

865C49CA-4D01-4E7A-92A0-CECC4ADF8BD7.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

In re: Mr Bill. :P

Not showing up for me, but the internet where I am staying is spotty

edit: must have been the Internet, it’s working now! Indeed, funny how fossils wear.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Isotelus frag

94216547-A523-4AF9-9496-C4B970160873.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

Left this glabella behind (think it’s a flexicalymene?)

805F91A2-F45D-4F5C-90F1-29B3F4D22D70.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Left this glabella behind (think it’s a flexicalymene?)

It is!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Isotelus fragment which didn’t come home

87842363-A95A-4B6F-958F-3EC344CD31F0.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Another

E1D161B5-3486-4F94-A35D-AB40D4FF92CB.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hematized inarticulate brachiopod from the dark flysch-like material also present at the site, it’s a lot sparser. Didn’t come home (sorry to you brachiopod lovers)

9F6CA80F-3888-4537-9FD5-AFDD15F09BC7.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Crinoid bits, didn’t come home

BE2D9610-E7D2-4C24-A555-CA069975B05B.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very worn and very large Isotelus pygidium, too big of a rock to take back.

11883F3E-92B3-466B-AC88-8F21105AD487.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

An example of the trilo-bit cross section hash that abounds at the site

FD4B5F10-89E6-4001-A07E-2EAC2F79CE72.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Lastly, a (very cropped so it can fit) picture of a portion of the site to give an idea of what fossil hunting there is like.

BEA19865-9B17-475B-A08E-B1349FAB29C5.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

It is!

Hurrah! My trilobite IDing skills are a bit shoddy, so I’ll take that little victory!

Happy hunting,

Mason

You’re doing just fine. :) I can only imagine how this trip would be if it was longer with some tools!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very nice finds for a short stop! 

It’s good to hear that your parents support your hobby. Even if it did take some convincing. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

23 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Very nice finds for a short stop! 

It’s good to hear that your parents support your hobby. Even if it did take some convincing. ;) 

Thanks! My parents are extremely supportive, and I owe much thanks to them for being so. But sometimes a little nudge is necessary to keep them that way:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Very nice finds, congrats!  :)

Thanks! Can’t wait to get back to MD fossil hunting though.

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks! My parents are extremely supportive, and I owe much thanks to them for being so. But sometimes a little nudge is necessary to keep them that way:D

I don't know what nudge means, but i also support you. Nice finds, i hope you'll find trilobites worthy to prep.:D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg