Claims of a mammoth tusk...

JohnRich

Posting for an acquaintance. Someone claims this is a mammoth tusk, and they're 100% certain. I'm not so sure. I've seen mammoth tusks in museums, and up close and personal digging one out of the dirt. I don't remember longitudinal striations like this object has. Can anyone tell me what it might really be?  Or confirm if it's actually a segment of a mammoth tusk?  Best pictures I've got, 3rd party source.

MT1.jpg

MT2.jpg

Looks like a possible rudist

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'll go along with rudist as well. Can you please give us a close-up of the striations and also a view from the side, I mean the end of the object at the right where it's broken off.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

22 hours ago, jpc said:

you are right; those striations are NOT mammothy.  

Thanks for the advice, folks.  I think you've got it with rudists, probably radiolites.  I'm always amazed at the breadth of knowledge here!  :-)

18 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'll go along with rudist as well. Can you please give us a close-up of the striations and also a view from the side, I mean the end of the object at the right where it's broken off.

3rd party photos, and that view is not available. Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

Great find. If you get a chance to look at is again. Look for what is called "Schreger Lines" int he cross section. The lines are a tell tail sign of ivory.

elepschr.jpg