Everyone so far is stumped

Malcolmt

This was found in Cayuga Ontario (Devonian) in 1988 and is still marked in my collection as an unknown. I have had a number of suggestions over the years as to what it is but nothing that screams that's it for sure. I always thought that it was echinoderm of some type but others have suggested eurypterid. Any thoughts. It was found at surface level of an abandoned water filled quarry so there is no assurance that it actually originated at that quarry but it probably did as it looked like the same matrix as the surrounding rock.

Please jump in with your thoughts... I would really like to figure out what it is as I have nothing else that remotely looks like this

5d615f52e6413_Unkown1.thumb.jpg.3a99e694457a6a7c6c8dbc1e6f43f656.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

11 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

My first impression is that of a Pterygotus claw.

It honestly does look like pterygotusPterygotus

On of the suggestions over the years has been pterygotis claw along with fish jaw. They look like spikes not teeth but the pores are somewhat confusing

12 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

They look like spikes not teeth but the pores are somewhat confusing

They're not teeth on Pterygotus, but rather barbs. I've seen photos of them with and without serrations and there are more of them than you have on yours, but some appear to be missing. Anyway, I'm just trying an educated guess. Maybe the guys at Lang's quarry could help you out, or have you already tried them?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I just received an interesting suggestion that this is part of the center two pygidial spines of a Terataspis grandis. When you look at pictures it could very well be

Related image

• I found this Informative 6

The highlighted area shows the distinct continuous crescent-shaped margin.  You and Kane can should start a "Show us your Terataspis" thread! :P

image.thumb.png.df034dacfe797a2d9a446b0611d384e4.png

fig. 99 from:

Thomas, A.T., Holloway, D.J., 1988. Classification and Phylogeny of the Trilobite Order Lichida.

Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. B, Biological Sciences, 321:179-262

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I would assume this is a ventral specimen due to the absence of the typical coarse tubercles found on the dorsal exoskeleton. 

The attached comparative figure is from Hall & Clarke 1888:

image.thumb.png.789e369b9691868175221ac688b1518f.png

Hall, J. & Clarke, J.M. 1888

Palaeontology VII. Containing descriptions and figures of the trilobites and other crustacea of the Oriskany, upper Helderberg, Hamilton, Portage, Chemung and Catskill Groups. Geological Survey of New York, Natural History of New York, Palaeontology: Volume 7:1-236

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

You can see some tubercules in the pic... I am not inclined to thin out the back at all to see some of the other side at this point in time....

39 minutes ago, Kane said:

Welcome to the Terataspis club, Malcolm! :D 

Can't be too elite if they let me and you in.... apparently I was there 31 years ago just too dumb to know it.......

Not that I do not appreciate Scott totally for his analysis and identification but the first person to make the suggestion of Terataspis was Steve Pavelsky in the Face Book Crinoid and echinoderms Group. Frankly I had never given trilobite a 2nd thought. I always thought it was echinoderm or pterygotid. As far as I knew people just don't even find tiny bits of Terataspis

@Kane and @Malcolmt, I hate you both so much right now... this is my dream find. I have been researching where to come across these for a while now. I have been hunting down resources from 100 years ago to try and figure out where to find them. (That I can get to.) 

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

16 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Not that I do not appreciate Scott totally for his analysis and identification but the first person to make the suggestion of Terataspis was Steve Pavelsky in the Face Book Crinoid and echinoderms Group. Frankly I had never given trilobite a 2nd thought. I always thought it was echinoderm or pterygotid. As far as I knew people just don't even find tiny bits of Terataspis

Have they ever found complete specimens before? I'd assume not, but anyway wow is that a pretty nice find!

Just now, Jackson g said:

Have they ever found complete specimens before? I'd assume not, but anyway wow is that a pretty nice find!

There are rumoured to be two held in private collections.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

17 minutes ago, Kane said:

There are rumoured to be two held in private collections.

Figures as much, too bad no museum has one to display. Would be nice to see a real complete example one day though!