Forum Trip To Hungry Hollow

Northern Sharks

BTW,

thanks for mentioning that Crinus took the Greenops to prep for me. Now I have witnesses.

Watch your backs, folks, these two guys were talking about tying me up after I found the trilobite and Tornoceras.

;)

We never said tie you up, c'mon. We said we were going to kill you and hide the body in the river :P

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice Greenops Tim!

Yea, Crinus is a wealth of knowledge, it helps that he was present when the strata was laid down... just kidding man!

Wow, that ammonite is beautiful and have never seen a

Mucrospirifer with a span that long! Beautiful place to hunt too..

Welcome to the forum!

We never said tie you up, c'mon. We said we were going to kill you and hide the body in the river

Thank God I'm safe at home...

Looks like I have another Greenops for you to prep Crinus!

He's almost completely buried in matrix, and his nose and cheeks are badly weathered, but it sure looks like a whole bug to me.

:D

From a small slab I grabbed for 2 nice pygidiums on it.

I'll try and get the best shots I can.

MiTiM

Thanks again, Northern Sharks & Crinus!

Glad that you had a great trip and made some good finds, guys! Let me know when you ID that coral as I have a chunk of that same specie from that locale. I am jealous of the Greenops as well. Unfortunately I had to work, but was only an hour south at the Port. Arkona is indeed a wonderful place to hunt fossils. :D

Greenops?? What Greeenops? I have no Greenops?

NS - I will have to tell you about my day at the Jim Dick quarry. You had you chance to get that Eleutherocrinus. Now I don't want it.

crinus

Had to work on Nov 14 but Was at Arkona / Hungry Hollow the following day Nov 15.... attached photo of Tentaculites approx. 5mm-10mm, from North Clay pit (Arkona formation). PL

post-2446-12583361052181_thumb.jpg

Had to work on Nov 14 but Was at Arkona / Hungry Hollow the following day Nov 15.... attached photo of Tentaculites approx. 5mm-10mm, from North Clay pit (Arkona formation). PL

It was on the 14th. I had another day to kill off so I went to another locality.

Greenops?? What Greeenops? I have no Greenops?

NS - I will have to tell you about my day at the Jim Dick quarry. You had you chance to get that Eleutherocrinus. Now I don't want it.

crinus

Find your own Constellaria did ya? You have my attention, just waiting for a PM now

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest solius symbiosus

Constellaria??? In the Devonian??? You sir, have my attention.

Pics please.

Ok, I noticed the pics. What is going on there? Regression, transgression, regression??? And, how does that tie into Taconic glaciation??? Or, does it?

Sorry for the confusion. Crinus offered to trade his rare blastoid from Arkona for a Constellaria I found at my local Ordovician quarry. Evidently, he found his own when he went Sunday. Am I correct in assuming that Crinus

Edited by Northern Sharks

So I'm officially jealous I couldn't go! But I think I may be planning a trip on Nov 28th, Saturday, in the Port Colborne area.

Holy cow guys! Loaded? I'll say. What wasn't there?

It always cracks me up when I'm taking friends who have never fossil hunted before to Arkona. They'll say, "I hope I find a fossil." I can only snicker and say, "You'll find plenty of fossils. Just depends what you're looking for. You'll be tripping over them."

I love that location.

How do you prep your fossils for coating, and what are you using to coat them?

The Tentaculites fossil were wet / damp to increase contrast when I photographed them..... just carefully lightly scrub with luke warm water and a srubbing brush... if the fossil is fagile use a fine camel hair brush with water remove clay debris. I do not coat any of my fossils with anything. Some polymer Coating when they age and are exposed to UV will crack over time creating other problems. A coating will interferes with studying true surface morphologies as you have to image past the coatings. I just prefer not to coat. PL

Find your own Constellaria did ya? You have my attention, just waiting for a PM now

I most certainly did. It is an unbelieveable piece. You will have to wait till I get home for some pics. BTW, it was right next to the rock you cut. I searched the rest of the quarry and found none.

I guess there's no substitute for experience. If I'd known how rare it was, I'd have searched a bit more. I was happy to get a sample for myself just because I didn't have anything like it. It was actually a fluke I saw it at all, it just caught my eye as I was walking back from the back wall after collecting another bryozoan. Looks like you got a summer full of good stuff crammed into one weekend

Guest solius symbiosus

I assumed that Constellaria was a common fossil in all the Ord... they litter the ground here; so much so, that I haven't picked one up in years. If you want some, the next time I am out I will grab you some.

I assumed that Constellaria was a common fossil in all the Ord... they litter the ground here; so much so, that I haven't picked one up in years. If you want some, the next time I am out I will grab you some.

I just looked that one up. I've got some with really nice details. You are right, there are tons of them there.

And to the hunters, nice finds! That brachiopod is sweet.

Great finds guys, love the super long wings on the Mucro and the Blastoids.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

9) Tim's coral. I forget the species, but a real nice piece

10) Tim's Greenops. You can see one genal spine and 1 eye, plus the complete thorax and pygydium. It went home with Crinus to be prepped, should be a beauty

11) Tim's Tornoceras uniangulare (film cannister cap in these 2 pics for scale)

12) My matrix Mucrospirifer, then my batteries died

Enjoy all

Kevin... Great documentry and pics. I liked the graphics on the various geology strata...and the key hunting sites. Congratuations Tim on the Greenops... been to Arkona twice and still no complete triobite yet.... the Tornoceras that you collected is just beautiful... you are indeed very fortunate to have Joe (Guru) and Kevin with you as expert guides... wished I could have been there that day.

Attached is a Greenops trilobite pygidium....I did not really find much in the north clay pit (Arkona shale)(in the end thought it was a waste of time digging there) ... much more productive in the Widder formation.

PL

post-2446-12585982557356_thumb.jpg

Peter

I would never say that the clay pit was a waste of time. My avatar came out of the clay pits as did many more crinoids, starfish, brittle stars and trilobites. The clay pits are worth the time and energy. These days a dozer would help finding stuff. You need to be there when they move the clay. If you are there when the clay gets dug, I assure you that you would go home with many crinoid crowns. In the "old" days they dug the clay every week. These day, you are lucky if they dig it once a year.

crinus

Edited by crinus

Peter

I would never say that the clay pit was a waste of time. My avatar came out of the clay pits as did many more crinoids, starfish, brittle stars and trilobites. The clay pits are worth the time and energy. These days a dozer would help finding stuff. You need to be there when they move the clay. If you are there when the clay gets dug, I assure you that you would go home with many crinoid crowns. In the "old" days they dug the clay every week. These day, you are lucky if they dig it once a year.

crinus

Thanks Joe for setting the record straight... you offer great encouragement. I only could go by what I have seen = limited to 2 days= 2 visits in totality compared to your +30 yr experience at Hungry Hollow. Prior to coming to Hungry Hollow... I did come across a paper "A pyritized polychaete from the Devonian of Ontario; Una C Farrelll and Derek E G Briggs. Proc. R. Soc. B (2007) 274, 499-504"... so my quest began to seek out the pyritized worm... based on the article...

I was able to trace the origins of the pyritized worm to the North Pit extracted 24 ft below the base of the Hungry Hollow Formation.... this was one of the basis for attempting Hungry Hollow. Finding fossils has always been a random walk... always helps if you have luck on your side ... timing is everything. :) Happy Hunting... too bad Carden is now closed to collectors may try JD next year.

PL