Why do southern californians go to Diamond Valley for fossil hunting.

whovin

People have told me to go to Diamond Valley, They said there are lots of fossils there. The lake is man made though. Paleontologist already dug out the fossils. So what is so good about it.

I merely said fossils were found there during the construction of the reservoir dams.  Just wanted to point out there are fossils in the general area.

I didn't say to go dig there!

Any fossils would have been pretty deep underground and quite inaccessible unless using earth moving equipment.

The Inland Empire is a HUGE alluvial plain from the San Gabriel Mountains and there is hundreds of feet of overburden to contend with. 

It is just not a real good place to look for fossils I'm afraid. :(

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

I merely said fossils were found there during the construction of the reservoir dams.  Just wanted to point out there are fossils in the general area.

I didn't say to go dig there!

Any fossils would have been pretty deep underground and quite inaccessible unless using earth moving equipment.

The Inland Empire is a HUGE alluvial plain from the San Gabriel Mountains and there is hundreds of feet of overburden to contend with. 

It is just not a real good place to look for fossils. :(

oh

Hello again, Whovin!  I think I may have found a valuable resource fairly close at hand to help "hold your hand" and get you into some fossil producing field trips!!  Please check out the Southern California Paleontological Society (SCPS) in Los Angeles at http://socalpaleo.com/

And no, this doesn't mean we're tiring of your questions; it just means that there is a good local resource to get involved with and better immersed in the hobby with some hands-on fossil hunting experience with experienced mentors. 

I hope this works out well for you.  I think it might be just what you are looking for.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, grandpa said:

Hello again, Whovin!  I think I may have found a valuable resource fairly close at hand to help "hold your hand" and get you into some fossil producing field trips!!  Please check out the Southern California Paleontological Society (SCPS) in Los Angeles at http://socalpaleo.com/

And no, this doesn't mean we're tiring of your questions; it just means that there is a good local resource to get involved with and better immersed in the hobby with some hands-on fossil hunting experience with experienced mentors. 

I hope this works out well for you.  I think it might be just what you are looking for.

im joining

• I found this Informative 1

Diamond Valley is mentioned in the book published last year, "Cruisin' the Fossil Coastline" by Kirk Johnson and Ray Troll, a book I'm reading now.  It's a follow-up to their excellent book, "Cruisn' the Fossil Freeway (2007) which recounted the fossil-related travels of a scientist and an artist across the American West.  The second book documents a series of trips along the Pacific coast from Baja California to Alaska.  

Johnson noted that mastodon fossils were found there so the name "Mastodon Valley Reservoir" was proposed but the name voted-on is "Diamond Valley Lake" even though diamonds have not been found there.  It sounds like the locals wanted to make it sound as attractive as possible.  I always think of a lake as a natural body of water.

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

I always think of a lake as a natural body of water.

As they probably should be.

Unfortunately, a good majority of our "lakes" are made that way via dams, thus essentialy they are in reality reservoirs.

We have to replenish the ground water some how!

Dorensigbadges.JPG