Free Public trilobite sites in utah

Leebart121

I am looking to take my kids to go take for trailer lights and Utah but I'm looking for free places to do so on public land. Does anybody have any locations where I might be able to do this as a day trip?

Hello Leebrat121 and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  I had the same idea in mind in 1994 for my wife (not really into fossils) and myself.  What I did was go to the U-Dig site and scout around the area to look for exposures of the same strata on public land in the area.  We found a spot and I cracked some shale and had pretty good luck.  To this day, though, I wonder what I might have found inside the U-Dig quarry.  It's on my bucket list.

6 hours ago, Leebart121 said:

I am looking to take my kids to go take for trailer lights and Utah

I'm assuming that is some sort of autocorrect fail?

Welcome to the Forum.  I can't answer your question but likely someone who can will come along.

Don

Yes it was a autocorrect fail. Take my kids to go look and find Trilobites is what I meant. I remember a a kid going out by the using site and my grandfather took us to a public area and we cracked she'll there and found tons of them in an hours time. Wish he has still here to ask about this.

Edited by Leebart121
Missing words

U dig is probably worth it. You could prospect the surrounding desert and find a site, but unless you live nearby the time you spend prospecting may be more valuable than the money U dig asks for. On the other hand, if I lived in southern Utah, I would go out prospecting to attain greater variety of finds.