I&M Canal Corridor Mazon River Fossil Collecting Trip

stats

Fantastic finds and really interesting report, thanks for sharing! The possible scale/bone thing also reminded me of shark cartilage.

Those are really nice specimens, Rich. Beautiful preservation, and I really like the color of the matrix in comparison to some of the other locations.  

I really hope to attend that event this coming year. Did anyone find any artifacts this past trip? I recall a few nice points being found in the past. I think maybe you shared the pics, no? 

Regardless, those flora fossil are world class, IMO. Nice finds. 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 5:27 AM, Rob Russell said:

Those are really nice specimens, Rich. Beautiful preservation, and I really like the color of the matrix in comparison to some of the other locations.  

I really hope to attend that event this coming year. Did anyone find any artifacts this past trip? I recall a few nice points being found in the past. I think maybe you shared the pics, no? 

Regardless, those flora fossil are world class, IMO. Nice finds. 

Thanks!  The trip is usually productive.    I did better this year than last.  Always a good time...

I don't think there were any artifacts found this year.  in 2018, someone found a very nice point.

Cheers,

Rich

10 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice pieces Rich

Thanks!  Nice weather lately, wish i could get back out!

Cheers,

Rich

Very Nice Rich !! I must have collected the wrong kind of rocks !! Still have a bunch to open, there is still hope !!

Phil

Beautiful specimens, both color and preservation.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 12/29/2019 at 9:07 AM, deutscheben said:

That little double is quite fetching! 

On 12/30/2019 at 12:26 PM, flipper559 said:

Very Nice Rich !! I must have collected the wrong kind of rocks !! Still have a bunch to open, there is still hope !!

Phil

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Beautiful specimens, both color and preservation.

Thanks guys!  I like the double too.  I think someone else found a similar one.  Winter time freeze and thaw is like fossil hunting all year!

Cheers,

Rich

@stats Rich, these are a couple of my I & M Canal trip open finds. One looks similar to a previously posted specimen.  The other, maybe a fish scale ?? Would appreciate any identification help. This was sure a fun trip !!  Looking forward to the next !!

kodat open7a.JPG

kodat open7b.JPG

kodat open3a.JPG

kodat open3b.JPG

kodat open1a.JPG

kodat open1b.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, flipper559 said:

@stats @bigred97 @Roby @CBOB I see they already have the dates for the 2020 I & M Canal fundraiser fossil hunt !! That was sure a fun time, looking forward to it again !!

Phil

How early did you have to sign up for it?

14 minutes ago, connorp said:

I didn't sign up until June or so last year. Saturday will fill up first. I was surprised to see it already listed.

Have you ever been on this event ?? Very fun !!

Phil 

35 minutes ago, flipper559 said:

I didn't sign up until June or so last year. Saturday will fill up first. I was surprised to see it already listed.

Have you ever been on this event ?? Very fun !!

Phil 

Not yet but I want to pretty bad. I went on a different ESCONI trip last year on the same day instead. Whether I can this year depends on when grad school will start, won’t know for a couple months. Fingers crossed though.

Phil,

The first and last fossils look like animal. The last on looks like it could be bone split in half length wise.  Are you going to the warehouse Saturday there will probably be someone that could help identify them.  Andrew might be there Saturday he could also give you his two cents.  The plant looks like a Cycloptersis with a Percopterod.  Images of creek makes want to go now!  

Keith

• I found this Informative 1

23 hours ago, Roby said:

Phil,

The first and last fossils look like animal. The last on looks like it could be bone split in half length wise.  Are you going to the warehouse Saturday there will probably be someone that could help identify them.  Andrew might be there Saturday he could also give you his two cents.  The plant looks like a Cycloptersis with a Percopterod.  Images of creek makes want to go now!  

Keith

Thank you Keith !! We are thinking about helping at the warehouse Sat, the weather looks kind of iffy .  What kind of work is needed there ??

Phil

Hunting for auction material and organizing material.  People that know value of items do initial item values for the auction.  It's interesting to see what was found in the hay day of pit 11 and Mazonia.  I will be hunting for fossils for giveaway at the up coming PaleoFest in Rockford. The jelly fish I find I combination with ferns are handed out as giveaways for guest to the ESCONI table.  We handed out nearly 80 bugs of fossils to kids and some adults.

7 hours ago, connorp said:

I signed up in May or June last year.

Cheers,

Rich

8 hours ago, flipper559 said:

@stats @bigred97 @Roby @CBOB I see they already have the dates for the 2020 I & M Canal fundraiser fossil hunt !! That was sure a fun time, looking forward to it again !!

Phil

I saw that.  I'll probably do both days again.

Cheers,

Rich

1 hour ago, stats said:

I signed up in May or June last year.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich- I just signed up for Saturday, hopefully I can make it.

10 hours ago, flipper559 said:

Phil

Thanks for posting this, I am hoping I can finally make it this year- I have been trying for the last three years and haven't been able to make it work. I would love to meet more of the fine Mazon Creek folks from the forum!

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Rich- I just signed up for Saturday, hopefully I can make it.

I just signed up for Saturday, too.  Always a good time, good food, good friends, and good fossils!

Cheers,

Rich