fossilzz

Yesterday I visited Etobicoke creek (west end of Toronto) which exposes the ordovician Georgian Bay formation. The creek was abundant with trace fossils and plates of preserved ripples, as well as small orthocone nautiloids.  

IMG_2210.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here's another pygdium, unfortunately deformed on the left side, probably from geological pressureIMG_2255.thumb.jpg.b37ca39b9ef7f74f5693e1b7ab52d68c.jpgIMG_2254.thumb.jpg.7e7342c3afaad9eacdb51015a1517e0d.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

And here is a fairly representative Treptoceras. ( I think) There were a lot of these, but most were under 20 cm.

IMG_2205.thumb.jpg.25264e1d1c97b6e2beddf4226e468102.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Overall I'd say it was a good trip, although I had trouble finding good exposures. the wall on the one side of the creek should the layers well, however some of the rocks seemed ready to fall, so I didn't get to close.

• I found this Informative 1

Congrats on your finds, especially the nice, intact Isotelus pygidium - that's not a very common find around these parts! :dinothumb::trilo:

Nice finds and nice pictures! Thank you for being safe and reminding us all to do the same. Sometimes we get so fixed on the hunt that we don't pay attention to the heavy boulders that are one vibration away from falling on our heads!

9 minutes ago, Monica said:

Congrats on your finds, especially the nice, intact Isotelus pygidium - that's not a very common find around these parts! :dinothumb::trilo:

Thanks! There is actually an awesome intact Isotelus Maximus on display at the ROM, I believe it was also found in Etobicoke creek as well which is one of the reasons I wanted to go there.

1 minute ago, K-boy Cachers said:

Nice finds and nice pictures! Thank you for being safe and reminding us all to do the same. Sometimes we get so fixed on the hunt that we don't pay attention to the heavy boulders that are one vibration away from falling on our heads!

When I was there a few rocks came down from around the top of the wall. Not much more than gravel, but it reminds you the area isn't stable.

Thanks for posting!  :) 

Good report. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice report! I actually carry a hard hat in my truck for situations like this. Most of the places I collect have a backward slope to them, but if their is rock above my head and it looks like it might fall or if I’ll be collecting under an overhang or something I’ll wear it. Of course, if they are large rocks, the hard hat isn’t going to help much and I’ll avoid the area completely. Definitely better to be safe than sorry! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

4 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Nice report! I actually carry a hard hat in my truck for situations like this. Most of the places I collect have a backward slope to them, but if their is rock above my head and it looks like it might fall or if I’ll be collecting under an overhang or something I’ll wear it. Of course, if they are large rocks, the hard hat isn’t going to help much and I’ll avoid the area completely. Definitely better to be safe than sorry! 

It's easy to overestimate the protection you'll get from a hard hat.  It would be pretty much useless against rocks like the ones in fossilzz's photos.

Don

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

It's easy to overestimate the protection you'll get from a hard hat.  It would be pretty much useless against rocks like the ones in fossilzz's photos.

It would be the difference between open or closed casket...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

3 minutes ago, Auspex said:

It would be the difference between open or closed casket...

Or perhaps worse the difference between a casket and life as a quadriplegic.  No fossil is worth either of those possibilities.

Don

23 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Or perhaps worse the difference between a casket and life as a quadriplegic.  No fossil is worth either of those possibilities.

Don

Definitely true Don! Neither one of these possibilities is worth any fossil!

I mainly wear one when I feel it will help with lessening my bumps and bruises by falling debris from above.  As I said earlier, a hard hat is useless against large (and not as large as you might think) rocks. Better to be safe than sorry and avoid those areas completely! The rocks pictured are undoubtedly widow makers! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)