Etobicoke Creek near a Medical Center and Tim Hortons

markjw

Another trip to Etobicoke Creek, this time near Sherway Drive. There were lots of nice things, but quite the same as usual, so I concentrated on looking through the gravel for smaller pieces and ended up with a box of knick-knacks to explore. As usual, my wife found all the interesting items.

At one point I picked up a rock and got surprised by a little snake. He was really steamed.

We had a delightfully relaxing outing.

aFossils-7.jpg

aTwoFossils-2.jpg

aDisturbed44.jpg

aFossil-6.jpg

aFossils-3.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Nice stuff, Mark!  I especially like the item circled in red below:

aFossils-7.thumb.jpg.bab7995eeebe51718868eb40630ebd2b.thumb.jpg.35a911fd78af99b61ce45f14af936899.jpg

It looks like Prasopora but I don't think that genus is found in the Georgian Bay Formation.  Another dome-shaped bryozoan is listed by Hessin as being found in the Georgian Bay Formation - Mesotrypa distincta - perhaps that's what you have?  Either way, I love it! :wub:

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, markjw said:

aTwoFossils-2.jpg

Nice finds! Do you know what the specimen on the left is in this picture? It’s neat looking and I don’t recognize it. :headscratch:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

40 minutes ago, Monica said:

aFossils-7.thumb.jpg.bab7995eeebe51718868eb40630ebd2b.thumb.jpg.35a911fd78af99b61ce45f14af936899.jpg

It looks like Prasopora but I don't think that genus is found in the Georgian Bay Formation.  Another dome-shaped bryozoan is listed by Hessin as being found in the Georgian Bay Formation - Mesotrypa distincta - perhaps that's what you have?  Either way, I love it! :wub:

Thanks for this Monica! I actually found something very similar to this on my last outing. I was scratching my head and hadn’t had time to post it on TFF yet.  I’m not sure if Prasopora is found in the formation that I found mine in either, but it gives me a good ID starting point. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Thanks for this Monica! I actually found something very similar to this on my last outing. I was scratching my head and hadn’t had time to post it on TFF yet.  I’m not sure if Prasopora is found in the formation that I found mine in either, but it gives me a good ID starting point. :) 

You're very welcome! :SlapHands:

11 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Nice finds! Do you know what the specimen on the left is in this picture? It’s neat looking and I don’t recognize it. :headscratch:

Golly, I wish I knew. It has all the characteristics of a Georgian Bay formation trace fossil, except that there is a regular grid. Too much of a coincidence, maybe.

12 hours ago, Monica said:

Monica, I learn more from your responses to posts than I do from my books.

I hoped that is a hat-shaped zooarium rather than a piece of eroded sandstone. Still lots of inspection to do...I have a backlog of about 5 dozen items to clean and catalogue. I'll use your comment as a starting point for that piece.

I think I got a less promising dome on the same outing, and the piece of flat Bryozoan barelypeeking in, lower left, might end up being spectacular.

Northern Watersnake, pretty sure.  Caught way too many of them as a kid in SW Ohio. Always bad tempered.

Nice fossils. In these Ordovician rocks there are dozens of bryozoan species. There may be other types similar to Prasopora that would match.

9 hours ago, erose said:

Northern Watersnake, pretty sure.  Caught way too many of them as a kid in SW Ohio. Always bad tempered.

Nice fossils. In these Ordovician rocks there are dozens of bryozoan species. There may be other types similar to Prasopora that would match.

Thanks for info erose !! Most appreciated.