What is the greatest fossil find on this website.

whovin

We would love to have you search our website (push the magnifying glass at top) and give us your full report. Don’t forget to look at the vertebrate and invertebrate finds of the month. 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/150-fossil-of-the-month/

• I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I think chele's Tyrannosaurus has to be a contender (and I'm an invert guy, but that one's bound to get a lot of votes if there were voting)

7 minutes ago, grandpa said:

So, what would the collective think about a IP and a V fossil of the decade being chosen?

Might be something cool and I think it would be fun, but very hard to choose from (and get ready for poor admins) That would be 120 fossils in each category!

Fossil of the month does my head in sometimes as it is :wacko:

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

So, what would the collective think about a IP and a V fossil of the decade being chosen?

I think we will leave that to the imagination and pleasure of of those perusing the Winner's Gallery.  ;)

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Why don't you search the forum and nominate something that strikes your fancy?

From my perspective (speaking personally, not as a moderator) questions like this are a singular waste of time.  It's much like those silly "surveys" about who is the greatest "rock guitarist", or "best band" of all time.  Everyone will have a different answer, based on their taste, and no one answer will ever be "correct" for everyone.

There are so many interesting things to learn about paleontology.  I learn something new almost every day from the Fossil Forum.  I sometimes get to see the "first reveal" of important new specimens that show new genera and species, or new specimens that transform our knowledge of previously insufficiently known species.  I frequently get to visit (vicariously) amazing collecting sites I will almost certainly never get to experience in person.  With all these delights available, why waste time on unanswerable questions about matters of personal preference?

Don

• I found this Informative 11

Any fossil is the greatest fossil to someone....... it is not just about how rare or valuable it is........... it is about the whole experience,, where you where, who you were with, how long has you been looking. Picking a best does a disservice to all the rest. Part of the reason I rarely enter a fossil of the month even though I occasionally find one that should be shared with others...

• I found this Informative 10

Here on the Forum, the responses to a question of this sort is very different than what you'd see on FaceBook. There, the thread would be an amusing running argument over a long list of candidates; all noise and no substance. Fun, yes, but of a different character than here. Malcolmt has summed it up beautifully: it's not just the specimen, but the whole story and experience. :)

• I found this Informative 6

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Any fossil is the greatest fossil to someone....... it is not just about how rare or valuable it is........... it is about the whole experience,, where you where, who you were with, how long has you been looking. Picking a best does a disservice to all the rest. Part of the reason I rarely enter a fossil of the month even though I occasionally find one that should be shared with others...

And if you're anything like me, your "best" changes pretty often with time and the discovery of new specimens and/or collecting new places.

7 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

There are so many interesting things to learn about paleontology.  I learn something new almost every day from the Fossil Forum.  I sometimes get to see the "first reveal" of important new specimens that show new genera and species, or new specimens that transform our knowledge of previously insufficiently known species.  I frequently get to visit (vicariously) amazing collecting sites I will almost certainly never get to experience in person.  With all these delights available, why waste time on unanswerable questions about matters of personal preference?

:default_clap2:well said!

OK, OK, so on reflection not such a good suggestion on my part.  I withdraw my suggestion of "fossil of the decade" and apologize for raising the idea at all.

But, then these responses to my suggestion do logically beg the question, "What is the difference between objections to 'fossil of the decade' vs what one might likewise say about 'fossil of the month' or 'fossil of the year'?"

[I'm not being defensive here or feeling picked on and piled on, no not me.:wacko:]

I am not a huge fan of fossil of the year.... I can understand fossil of the month provides some recognition and a showcase for some pretty nice specimens. Take me for example I probably only look at verts in fossil of the moth as the are not really my thing not being able to collect them

21 minutes ago, grandpa said:

OK, OK, so on reflection not such a good suggestion on my part.  I withdraw my suggestion of "fossil of the decade" and apologize for raising the idea at all.

But, then these responses to my suggestion do logically beg the question, "What is the difference between objections to 'fossil of the decade' vs what one might likewise say about 'fossil of the month' or 'fossil of the year'?"

[I'm not being defensive here or feeling picked on and piled on, no not me.:wacko:]

@grandpa 

I think most of the responses are directed at the OP's question/title.  Otherwise, your suggestion is fun to ponder, but a 'dissection' that goes beyond what we find useful to publish.  As you know, we have to draw the line somewhere, or get sucked into the 'rabbit hole' of endless contests.  ;) 

(Besides, if you're "picked on", I'm close enough to Austin to "have your back".  :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@grandpa it’s not a bad suggestion but I think the logistics might be a nightmare. I have a hard enough time deciding wich fossil I like best in a month my brain might short circuit if I tried to decide on an all time one! :heartylaugh:

I will throw my 2 cents in as well...not trying to dog file the O.P.   For me and my 9 year old and 4 year old boys our answers would be different.  I would say the easiest is my 4 year old he loves going to hunt with his big brother and Dad so anything he found himself is a favorite.  He actually said after they bought shark tooth necklaces that he wanted to make a fossil necklace with the chunks of coral he found in Aurora and the horn coral he found in Penn Dixie... I'm not sure how that will turn out. :shrug:but those are his best fossils at the moment.  My oldest son has been wanting to be a paleontologist since he was 3 and we have taken him to various places since he was 4 to hunt fossils and to a local annual rock and mineral show almost as long and buying smaller fossils.  So for him he most likely give you categories and would have half a dozen best fossils found and bought.  I do know he especially loves the Ecphora we bought him since it is our state fossil. And the best we can ever find is broken chunks of them.  I on the other hand don't know if I could narrow down what I have to a best.  I have favorites from each trip with the family because it brings back memories of the trip and the joy and excitement of they had searching and finding them.  Well I think I went above and beyond what I set out to write, but I hope it helps to answer a question that has almost as many answers as there are fossils to be found.

19 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Well said Malcomt. Every time I look at my fossils I am transported both back millions of years and to the day I was out in nature, doing what I love best with great friends. Every fossil has at least two stories.

Don’t worry @grandpa I thought it was a good idea, but after the initial excitement wore off, I thought about how hard it would be for the poor admins to organize, and I think I might go crazy trying to decide which one to pick out of 120 fossils. 

Keep the great ideas flowing as I’m sure your input is appreciated by all.

58 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I thought about how hard it would be for the poor admins to organize, and I think I might go crazy trying to decide which one to pick out of 120 fossils. 

I see others are thinking that the choices would be over 120 entries also. My perspective was somewhat different, and I believe much more practical.  If one assumes that the fossil of the year has been chosen correctly out of the 12 monthly winners of that year, then the selection of the fossil of the decade would only have 10 offerings to choose from  (the fossil of the year from each of the 10 years); that's 2 fewer entries than the selection of the fossil of the year.  Anyway, it seemed like a fun idea at the moment, but maybe it wasn't one of my better offerings.

4 minutes ago, grandpa said:

I see others are thinking that the choices would be over 120 entries also. My perspective was somewhat different, and I believe much more practical.  If one assumes that the fossil of the year has been chosen correctly out of the 12 monthly winners of that year, then the selection of the fossil of the decade would only have 10 offerings to choose from  (the fossil of the year from each of the 10 years); that's 2 fewer entries than the selection of the fossil of the year.  Anyway, it seemed like a fun idea at the moment, but maybe it wasn't one of my better offerings.

That' sounds pretty logical to me. Ha! For some reason I didn't extend the functioning of the FOM and FOTY to FOTD.

:DOH:

We don't go back and choose from the many, many monthly entries to determine the fossil of the year and the pool comes from the monthly winners. I guess given this format it might make a fun retrospective in 2020 of the last decade of wonderful fossils from our members.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I didn't extend the functioning of the FOM and FOTY to FOTD.

Yeah, in fact the idea came to me after I reviewed the gallery of monthly and annual winners as DPS Ammonite suggested above.  I thought a couple in each category (IPF and VF) really stuck out in my mind and wondered how that might compare with what others, with different perspectives, might find as stand-outs.  From there, my mind easily fell into the idea of FOTD.  (I'm getting too old to take falls like that anymore.)  I guess the different perspectives have made it pretty clear that what seemed like a good idea at the time, from my perspective,  was  my perspective only.  Oh well, C'est la vie .

I think its a great idea and an easy one for me.   that guy Xyphactinus?  The guy who prepped out that HUGE fish and it takes up the intire wall.   It my favorite for 2 reasons.  One huge badd ars fish and there was lots and lots and lots of prep involved.  Hands down the #1 fossil on this forum.

RB

7 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Yeah, in fact the idea came to me after I reviewed the gallery of monthly and annual winners as DPS Ammonite suggested above.  I thought a couple in each category (IPF and VF) really stuck out in my mind and wondered how that might compare with what others, with different perspectives, might find as stand-outs.  From there, my mind easily fell into the idea of FOTD.  (I'm getting too old to take falls like that anymore.)  I guess the different perspectives have made it pretty clear that what seemed like a good idea at the time, from my perspective,  was  my perspective only.  Oh well, C'est la vie .

You were not alone in your thinking about a FOTD; another member had floated the idea over a year ago. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer