What is the greatest fossil find on this website.

whovin

27 minutes ago, whovin said:

what choice, i don't even know most of the comments are about.

You got us all excited and reminiscing about great fossils.

We have a few competitions on here that you can check out from the main page or search for fossil of the month.

This is where members put up their best finds each month for some friendly competition. We finish of the year with a Fossil of the year which is voted for from the find of the month entries.

So after your comment some members started thinking about extending it to fossil of the decade.

• I found this Informative 1

43 minutes ago, RJB said:

I think its a great idea and an easy one for me.   that guy Xyphactinus?  The guy who prepped out that HUGE fish and it takes up the intire wall.   It my favorite for 2 reasons.  One huge badd ars fish and there was lots and lots and lots of prep involved.  Hands down the #1 fossil on this forum.

RB

Great find and prep for sure! I also remember getting excited about the guy who found associated Otodus teeth and vertebrae in a cave in Morocco. How cool was that thread. Forgot his name.

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

So after your comment we all started thinking about extending it to fossil of the decade.

Not "all".

Don

7 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Not "all".

Don

Fair comment <_< I was certainly sceptical myself so it is not accurate.

I edited it to "some" Hey we are all about accurate info on here. 

22 minutes ago, whovin said:

what choice, i don't even know most of the comments are about.

It may come down to understanding the difference between subjective and objective. The question you posed was subjective. For example, ask ten people what they think is the greatest movie of all time, and you may come up with ten different answers for various reasons of personal preference. An objective question would be something we could measure: "what are the three most common letters in the alphabet that appear in English" is something we can measure (the answer is E, T, and A). Asking how many fossilized mushrooms have been reported in the academic literature is also something we can measure as we can count those. Asking what is the greatest find on TFF is more like asking what movie is the greatest. ;)  

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I think its a great idea and an easy one for me.   that guy Xyphactinus?  The guy who prepped out that HUGE fish and it takes up the intire wall.   It my favorite for 2 reasons.  One huge badd ars fish and there was lots and lots and lots of prep involved.  Hands down the #1 fossil on this forum.

RB

That raises the question, what makes a fossil "important"? Is it visually impressive, catching the eye of the general public and making paleontology more mainstream, or is it scientific importance over wow factor? Both are important but they are polar opposites. I've had to good fortune to participate in the discovery of two new species one of which is not very impressive visually but far more important scientifically.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Awww....thanks! That's my favorite of my fossils.